The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i installed the gs2 bracket in the 9650. after getting the bracket intalled i put the 2600 display in and began to get it set up for mapping, and more or less playing with it. i came across a particular part in the "info" menu on the yeild monitor. it listed the hrs of the moisture sensor, they were somewhere over 2800 hours. what is disturbing about this is that this machine only is showing 1600 hrs on the post display. when my dad and i first went to look at this machine on the dealer lot the corner display had all 1's and 0's on it and wasnt fuctional. he made the deal on the combine and the dealer assured us that it only had 1300 hrs on it. so whats up with the moisture sensor saying it has 2800 on it????????

·
Registered
530 Posts
The Moisture sensor is probably right. I had to change two cornerpost modules on my 9650 and both times during installation you haved to enter all the correct parameters of your machine into the new module, things like what model machine, what engine, type of finals, tires, and hours, etc. Without a doubt the cornerpost has already been changed and they didnt put the correct hours into the new hour meter, either because they didnt note the original hours, or they were hoping down the road they could make it sell as a newer machine.
I dont want to start crap with you and your sales people but Ive changed these modules myself and know what is involved. These problems are common on all the 50 series and up and Im sure theres plenty of them floating around.
There are other ways to tell if your machine has the actual 1500, or if it really has 2800 hrs on it.
Have the conveyer auger bearings in front been changed yet, or do they still have green paint on them? Have the shoe cam bearings been changed, or still green? How about feeder house floor parts?

·
Registered
400 Posts
your machine must have the 60 series moisture sensor, it is possible that just that sensor has been changed.
i carry a complete sensor with me in the service truck and just swap yhem out to keep the guy going.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how would you tell if its a 60 series or not. its the side mount one. if it had been changed wouldnt it have lower ours than what the tach is saying instead of more??

·
Registered
400 Posts
if it is a side mount, it is 50 series.

not necessarily, because when i swap them out, the first guy might have had 500 hours, then i fix his up for the next swap. the next guy might only have 300, now his will read 500.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not sure exactly but the time on the moisture could be time whilst powered up with key on.I think this is the same as the starfire reciever that it accumulates while key power is connected. This may well explain why engine/separator hours are lower due to machine needed to be started to accumulate time on the cornerpost

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
exactly!!! the dealer we got this from knew less about sts machines than we did at the time. there were several things that transpired during/after the sale that sure make me have a bad opinion about this particular dealer, but i wont go there.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Checked on my 9860 and the moisture sensor time is exactly the same as the engine hours on my combine.

My neighbors grandson ran on the custom harvest run and they had 2 tachs for each combine and every second day they would switch them out. That way they showed increasing hours for warranty work and 1/2 the actual hours at trade in.

Whether the dealer actually knew or cared, I am not sure about.

It is buyer beware, because it is happening all the time. Dealers should hook a laptop up to each trade item and prove the engine hours from the cpu for every buyer that requests it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On all the new Case-IH combines the ECM stores the actual machine hours. I would guess that deere does the same. It's worth a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts