The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I picked up a old 560 to pull the hay rake. Unfortunately I need a rad, not much left to fix on this rad even with a recore. Does anyone by any chance have one kicking around? New is 850. Any good rad shops in Edmonton? I would still like someone to tell me if it is salvageable or not. And I need another rad fixed too and my usual guy passed away years ago. Also looking for some general maintenance info on them. Particularly clutch adjustment and if there is a torque value for the bolts that hold the injectors in.(missing one bolt).
Thanks

·
Registered
735 Posts
Had one of these for 35 years and was great little tractor with virtually no issues except regular oil/filter maintenance. However, in its later phase the high/low/reverse range shifter would pop out of line the odd time and was a bit painful crawling from underneath with big screwdriver and getting the mechanical linkage back where it needed to be. Just seemed to loosen up over the decades. Cannot comment on any of issues you bring up as never had them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
injector plate torque is a bit erratic, one has it at 12 ft lbs, the other one said 133 in lbs... so in that range should be okay ..not really that much ...
as far as rad is concerned, i has fairly good luck with the scrap dealer [NOT a wrecker], as some times rads come in fairly good shape , and can be had relatively cheap compared to used from a wrecker ... inlet and outlet can be moved if necessary, newer rads are much different, but an older truck rad -might- work ?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Had one of these for 35 years and was great little tractor with virtually no issues except regular oil/filter maintenance. However, in its later phase the high/low/reverse range shifter would pop out of line the odd time and was a bit painful crawling from underneath with big screwdriver and getting the mechanical linkage back where it needed to be. Just seemed to loosen up over the decades. Cannot comment on any of issues you bring up as never had them.
You had a 560 with a high,low,reverse trans? What was the other trans? Thought they were all 5spd/reverse 1 stick knee knockers??

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yep 12lbs. 2 at a time one bolt then the other. A friend got an aluminum radiator from Northern I think but any rad shop should be able to get you a custom one for that. I think it was like 250ish it was for a puller and the local radiator guy is pretty good to him.

·
Premium Member
8,219 Posts
You had a 560 with a high,low,reverse trans? What was the other trans? Thought they were all 5spd/reverse 1 stick knee knockers??
The one we had was a 5 forward/1 reverse plus the high/low torque amplifier. I bet that's what he is referring to.

Solid tractor it was, hourmeter was broken at 74XX hours as long as I remember and we put lots of work on it blading, running auger and breaking with a 14' JD 100 chisel plow. Good times!:smile:

·
Registered
980 Posts
The one we had was a 5 forward/1 reverse plus the high/low torque amplifier. I bet that's what he is referring to.

Solid tractor it was, hourmeter was broken at 74XX hours as long as I remember and we put lots of work on it blading, running auger and breaking with a 14' JD 100 chisel plow. Good times!:smile:
Yeah I checked with a farmall goro thought maybe they made some sort of 706 crossover thing. Pretty sure they didnt but dont know what they made or sent to other countries.

Dad had a few, well pretty much everybody around here at one time or another. I regularly ran dads like a rented mule! Lol he had a few (cheap auction prizes) that were turbod and one was fire ringed and studed! Used to peg the tach and run the pyro up into the red constantly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
neighbor has a 560 that they dropped a 915 combine motor into!! cut holes in the frame to make everything fit.. That suicide contraption does around 35 mph wide open

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm, not sure if the rake will handle 35mph or me for that matter. Although it may make it easier to steer. Thanks for the info on the injectors too. Going to measure up the rad on the 986, looks eerily similar but the tape will tell for sure.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Transmission in one I mentioned was all on LHS of operator seat. Had one lever that was for ranges and there was 4 of them. Than other lever High/low/Reverse - this was one that would get out of alignment.

Everybody tends to talk about the bad depreciation stories on farm equipment, but this tractor and would imagine there many like it was almost an appreciation case.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I think this has to be the first time I have seen where the 560 was considered a "good" tractor lol. Undeniably and industry fact it was the biggest blunder IH ever made, well any farm equip manufacturer actually, cost them millions and those are 1950s millions, and ultimately top position in sales as Deere brought out the New Generation before IH had a chance to recover and then IH just simply never did.

Once they were rebuilt sure they held up I suppose, but history will always haunt them. What happened was IH rushed production and simply bred too large of engine onto the older F30 back end. They weren't alone with such either, Ford did similar with their Select O Speed, ended up firing the main engineer on the project who steadfast told Ford not to go ahead with production, so they fired him, release the tractors which failed miserably much as he said they would and he went on to work for Deere and designed the 8 speed power shift for them. Sometimes makes one wonder what management is really thinking.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just from what I've read on them it was only the first years of them that had final drives that couldn't handle the hp. Massive recall on them as albertabuck mentioned. Good thing this one will be pretty much permanently attached to the rake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts