The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys more of a deere guy but dont get me wrong red is just as good... i just recently found out my grandpa owns an international 82 pull type combine that looks brand new!!!!.....well we have about 15 acres of wheat this year and i was wandering would it be good to go and use it or were they a bad machine that would probily break down on me??????? thanks case guys it looks real nice but i dont want to ruin it or somthing so if u know something about or have give me some info on em thanks.... and should i borrow my friends farmall to run it or use our jd 3020?........ill try to get some picks doubt ill be able to

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks weve had the 3020 for a few decades .. wish we still had that john deere 50 my great grandpa bought new...ill probily use the 3020 but that would be fun for me to use and international... my dad being a strict deere guy and my grandpa and i open to all accept for foriegn brands

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 82 is a nice pull type combine. If it hasn't run regularly I wouldn't plan on getting 15 acres combined with it without some TLC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My landlord has had a 12A John Deere pull type combine in our shed for 20 years, we decided to get it out and use it (just for Thrills) this past year in wheat. Worked great and was a blast to run. Surprised to see the capacity of such an old machine. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks ya ill give it a good looking over... but from ive seen just need to slip some belts on and add some grease

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had a #80 pulltype with a 6' table and I used it in soybeans and oats a couple of years back. Worked great in oats. In beans I couldn't all the pods thrashed. I took some concave filler plates IH had for the 1660, and covered half of the concave, made a big difference. I sold the machince last fall. I don't farm myself and it hard to find someone to save a patch for you to do (espescially when it rains every other day!!). I pulled mine with a Farmall 300. I really had a great time!! It was great to see the smile on my dad's face when he ran it. His dad bought the 300 new.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You put filler plates on a conventional? How did that help with threshing ? You may be on to something here.
Can't see what though. Love to hear how it helped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The wire spacing is kinda wide in the #80 and the unthreshed pods could fall through the concave. I filled in the first two rows and the center of the third. It helped. I didn't have a "seed bean" clean sample, but it was better than what I started with.
JD445, It won't matter what color you have on the front , you'll have a blast. Just take it easy at first, check the machine out good before you start and stopp once in a while and look'er over. My # 80 plugged fairly easy in thick oats. Have fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have but hundreds of acres of oats, rye, soybeans, clover seed, timothy seed, through a #80 pull type. They were a great little combine. I was twelve when my dad bought one new, $2,250. That was 50 years ago, or summer 1959. It was pulled by a new Ford 861 Power Master, or a Super M. The Ford had live PTO and Hyds. The M had a bit more power, but no power steering. This combine was a 7 foot. It had a lot of capacity for it's size and we often used it to cut the weedy fields after we bought a Uniharvestor, with a Brown Mule, for power. That is another story. Make sure you have selected the right cylinder speed. It is easy to change. The short fall of this machine, for us, was the Love Joy coupler between the gear box and the jack shaft. It is not so hard to fix but time and wear may have taken yours out. The rubber bushing will be easy to find the cast coupler may not. It would be wise to not run without it in place. So, all in all, 35-45 hp. with pull it just fine. It was good for 10-15 acres of 30 bu beans or about 20 acres of 35 bu wheat. It was not so good in mud. I remember having to go get the neighbors Big 450 Farmall to pull it out one wet fall. I look back with many smiles. I was the first one to run the little fellow at 12. Would you do that with your 12 year old today. Well, probably not, but I hope you would have the same confidence and faith for your son that my dad had in me. I, in all honesty, injoy the 2388 much better. Of course I can't jump off the ladder like a kid either. Have a good day and thanks for reading my story. Billy

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good story.. but i am the 12 year old boy..(well 14 in a week) close enough .........did u say u have another story about the uni harvestors... ive been curious about them for a few years

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an International McCormick 80, pull type myself. Made in 1963. Great combine, no complaints, about it. I bought mine, in 2004, for $250.00, ran it behind a Fordson Super Major. Had the guy come in, that did Custom Combining, for my Dad, years ago, and said it did a better job, of combining, that his $250,000.00 Massy.
Recently, I bought a 660 Case, Self Propelled combine, and right now, have the 80, hooked up, behind my Cockshutt 1650 tractor, ready to go, in case, the Case, should break down, during my Spring Wheat Harvest, which I'm going to start, as soon, as the weather clears. Have about 15, 20 acres, to combine. I'll put a 12 foot swath, through the 80, without any problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts