The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to my local CNH dealer and went towards the back and saw these it was my first time seeing an 815 in person it was neat besides all the damage to it and while i was around there i took some other photo of a 1440 and a 1460 that they have been using for scrap parts they have just about gutted the whole thing tho. Here are the pics

Mason

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Mason, I can assure you from past personal experience with 15 Series IH's that this old 815 is highly restorable.

Also, something you may not be aware of, is as you have guessed, the 815 was nowhere near as common as either the big 915 or the little 715. In essence, this makes the saving of an 815, even more pertinent. If you can, even try to locate another 815 in as good or better condition, and use parts off the pair to restore even ONE GOOD one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:Mason, I can assure you from past personal experience with 15 Series IH's that this old 815 is highly restorable.

Also, something you may not be aware of, is as you have guessed, the 815 was nowhere near as common as either the big 915 or the little 715. In essence, this makes the saving of an 815, even more pertinent. If you can, even try to locate another 815 in as good or better condition, and use parts off the pair to restore even ONE GOOD one.

everything is pretty much there right down to the engine itself and since no one runs any 15 series combine in our area the combine is of no need for spare parts so yeah you could probley buy the whole thing pretty cheap.

Mason

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:Speaking from experience, a 15 series ain't worth saving. Good combines when they were new, but once they got some age on them, watch out. Three 915's brought in the crop here from the late 70's until the late 80's and very rarely were all three running at one time., and very rarely were all three running at one time.

in my area there 915 and 815 not to mention some 715 and they were good combines heck some are still used today with small farmers.

Mason

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with you mason72x. The 15 series combine is very good. There are several out here that are in operation still. The 15 series combine took care of a lot of Palouse slopes for many years, many 15 series continue to.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Quote:Speaking from experience, a 15 series ain't worth saving. Good combines when they were new, but once they got some age on them, watch out. Three 915's brought in the crop here from the late 70's until the late 80's and very rarely were all three running at one time., and very rarely were all three running at one time.

Maybe so in your case. I'm really sorry you did not have a better experience with your 915's.
As others here have posted, I've seen a great many of these aging machines [715 and 915] not only still in the field but running in perfect order. Keep in mind these working combines are at least 30 years old!

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are right. A combine is a tool that’s all it is. It was designed by man to make a job easier, to help take away some of the physical work that man had to endure for so many generations.

It has no soul, well that is open to debate.

Your children and mine can someday see an old combine and know what they are about, because someone saved an old combine. People like Super27 and Combiness on this forum. They help preserve those old combines for what they may have meant to them, or the history they may have wrote for all of us. They preserve old combines so we can have them for today and tomorrow.

That history is the usually the main reason many people want to save a combine or an old tractor or an old car for that matter. It is for the men that ran them. They are the ones that provided the soul. For most, the combines soul that I am referring to usually came from Dad or Grandpa. For some, their Dad or Grandpa may be gone now, so that combine, when they see a it, or operate it, it is a way for those people to remember Dad or Grandpa and what made those men who they were.

We go to a lot of car and tractor shows in our area. It is amazing to me how many people come up to myself and others and say. “My Dad use to have one just like that.” Those people almost always have a fond story (some good, some not so good) that follows about that car, that tractor and that person. For some that also goes for an old combine.

By somebody preserving that combine, in a small way is a way of preserving Dad or Grandpa to that person. So to some that combine does have a soul, therefore a reason to be preserved.

We can preserve a combine as a black and white photo or a Toyota. But it’s hard for our kids to understand what those old combines did, what they meant, and how far we have come when a photo or a Toyota is all that is left of them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's all very true. We still run a 915 and that is the combine I learned how to combine on. I think it would be awesome to keep the machine working right along side the new ones just so people can see how far along we have come with our technology! The 915 combine works great and we still do about 150 acres a year with the great combine!

·
Super Moderator
4,008 Posts
Wow, it's neat when you get new members going through the forum and digging up 5 year old (to the day:eek:) threads!;)

Don

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
DON<< your my hero,, (not being sarcastic),, I wish I could come up with the one liners you do,, it would take me about a week to make the sense and humor you hit right one off... I laugh at so many of your posts,, they are just great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts