The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Klas and a arable farmer for SW Sweden. Thanks our politics in Sweden we have a very hard country to farm in. The yields here are pretty good (8500kg WW/ ha, where I live) but everything costs very much thanks to high taxes. Fuel, chemicals, fert, machinery, land, wages and so on. My goal is not to buy huge amounts of land and destroy for the local farmers, but maybe buy/farm 1000 hectares and to raise a healthy crop invest in the land and maybe move to the farm in the future. I been looking on Ukraine, Russia and Canada.
Is there any one on this forum that has any tips or someone that has done what I want to do.

Have a nice day.
/ Klas

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not much for comments yet but I would say canada best place to live of the ones you mention and ukraine best land. The rules and politics of buying a farm will be the big thing to figure out. If I was to relocate, I would buy the best of the best farm land regardless of price and just buy less.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not much for comments yet but I would say canada best place to live of the ones you mention and ukraine best land. The rules and politics of buying a farm will be the big thing to figure out. If I was to relocate, I would buy the best of the best farm land regardless of price and just buy less.
If I buy land in Russia or Ukraine I'll not relocate, only visit the farm as often as I can and then maybe sell after a 10-20 years. But if I can get a Canadian citizenship and buy or rent some land I'll make sure that is a place where me and my family can live for a long time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ukraine is a difficult country to hold a farm.
I have a farm there since 2012. You can not buy land there, you can only rent it, which has its big pluses, you do not have to freeze big capital, you can spend more on development machinery and all staf.
I can share my experience.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Get out of the old country and come west!

If Filipinos and east Indians can get citizenship to work in the hog barns around here I'm sure you can get Canadian citizenship if you buy farmland.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here in Saskatchewan we have people from France, England and Scotland who have all relocated here and are farming. We got a pile of Chinese investors coming in also and screwing things up. I would rather see a legitimate farmer here then the Chinese investor.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I posted my thoughts about farming in Russia on another forum recently, here they are:

I've spent quite a bit of time in Russia, and the idea of moving there to farm has come up. The trouble with doing business there is you have to be careful whose toes you step on, or you may just disappear, it happens regularly. Corruption at every level, adds huge costs to any endeavor. They call the government legalized mafia. Most farms have an armed guard at the gate, same thing if they leave equipment in the field overnight, those are costs we don't have. No government subsidized crop insurance, and not much for other government programs. They have the same complaints as you hear here, about markets and weather, and BTO's and equipment costs( Ruble lost half of it's value again a couple of years back, that makes imported equipment awfully expensive). If someone wants your property for development(including government) they will find a way to steal it from you. Rural roads are disgraceful to non existent, neighbors will drive across your crop to get to theirs, it is the only way. But the soil is incredible(Black sea region), labor is cheap, Rostelmach combines and Kirovets tractors will get the job done.

As for Canada, left wing governments are quickly eroding our rights and freedom to farm, still better than Europe, but not sure that advantage will last long

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
had a old coworker that did equipment setups in Russia...some scary stories. would be the last place id look into, not saying I wouldn't consider just down there for preferences.

I'd find some 3rd world that farms with horses and will allow you to buy land. Visit it and see what your working with before you commit. Try get a few 4020's, other basic equipment from that era (manure spreaders if there is a source for manure), a lot of varieties of seed, and give it a go...I'd maybe bring a flour mill too, may not be a bad place to start either...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see that JVW actually had to be in Russia, or in Ukraine, if you know their technique.
Often on larger farms, especially fruit-producing, but not only there are bodyguards with weapons, even in Ukraine, I have seen them.

Certainly the basis of how the capital is at the beginning to fence your farm by a 2-3 meter concrete wall, the less you know about the others the better for you.

Still these currencies depreciate, but if we do export production from this country, it is very good, because we produce what is cheaper and sell in another stable currency.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I relocated from England nearly twenty years ago,at the time farming in Russia was the new frontier for farming after the abandonment of the state farms following the communist collapse. Renting was the only option unless you were willing to marry a Russian beauty which being single at the time was a great propersition fertile land and wife all thrown in to the deal. But as said above the corruption and language barrier turned me towards Canada. Land at that time seemed cheap compared to Europe so here I am. I came from very poor area for soil quality and as mentioned before decided to by good land even if it meant farming less. For me Canada has been a great place to farm live and rear a family. I think we all would like to farm somewhere where every year the weather is just perfect and we pull a great crop off,inputs are half and equipment is nearly free with warranty thrown in,but it's not going to happen. A country with infrastructure and political stability,with a future for your kids would be a place to farm. Good luck with your adventure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
true, stability is in Canada.
In Ukraine, which I know, this stability is lacking, you wake up in the morning and you do not know what awaits you, whether some control will be, if people will come to work, etc., you can not plan too much here. and it should be different. I hope that it will slowly change and stabilize.
Only large corporations can handle the system, they get along.
we try to produce crops with a higher added value so that you do not need thousands of hectares, only a few hundred and the same results, but it is associated with other problems.

each coin have got two sides...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts