The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone did any on farm trials with these different Invigor canola varieties. We have grown 233 for years but am wondering if 340, 345, or 350 would be better. Does anyone have any experiences with the pod shatter of the new varieties in strong winds? 233 has been great for pod shatter for us. Thanks. SouthernSK

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hutts beside me had a plot trial of I would say 8 varieties. Mostly we’re Invigours, also there was a Pioneer and Dekalb variety. I went for BASF tour and for the most part they all looked good. Was nice to see see by side comparison of all the varieties.
A couple had the odd flower left, and the rest were done. Couple had a real lean to them, 345 was one and another also had a little. Some podded lower than others.
Talked to the field boss after they were all combined, the 340 was the best, basically it’s replacing 233.

BASF has a new one 360 or something (there is getting to be too many numbers) it’s suppose to be the “king”, but it didn’t perform as good as 340.
The 345 has too much lean IMO, and it was quite tall.

Dekalb was the worst one for yield, followed by the Pioneer. To me the Pioneer one looked good.

Best part of the tour the afternoon was the beer was cold!

·
Registered
29 Posts
We had one field of 340 and one with 340/356 side by side this year. It all got blown over with 2+” of rain and crazy wind mid-July right when it was flowering and took quite a bit of top-end yield out of it (funny part is Grandpa’s field of Proven RR canola stood way better). 356 seemed to stand a little bit better and is a bit later than 340 but yield was pretty much the same.
345 is one I would stay away from. Yield is good but standability is consistently poor.
Was also at a BASF tour this summer. If I remember right they had a small plot of 350 and it was crazy tall (5.5’+) but standing well.
233 pretty much done here. Too much clubroot. Go an hour east and they still grow some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts