The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my invoice for my l160. $733 bag! I needed a drink and a smoke after that cause felt like I just got screwed.what Arethe rest of u seeing? If this is the price then bye bye canola on our farm

·
Registered
880 Posts
don't you agree on price before you put it in the ground?
hat one sale guy slacking coming out with price, ****** hate when they do that, I want to know where I stand yes invigor needs a tuning because these seed prices are retarted.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I usually price before I seed but this was 160 bayer rep special or so he called it so I didn't bother. And I won't be paying for canola seed at that price because we have a lot of alternatives here and soya are taking massive acres away from canola in our area there r more soy fields than canola this year. Even guys who have never grown them are putting some in and canola is taking the hit,wheat seems about the same acreage wise. I just don't where a guy is going to make any money with $75 acre seed and then chem and fret for another $125+ plus everything else. It's all good with 60 bu but I'd hate to see 35

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Yes I usually price before I seed but this was 160 bayer rep special or so he called it so I didn't bother. And I won't be paying for canola seed at that price because we have a lot of alternatives here and soya are taking massive acres away from canola in our area there r more soy fields than canola this year. Even guys who have never grown them are putting some in and canola is taking the hit,wheat seems about the same acreage wise. I just don't where a guy is going to make any money with $75 acre seed and then chem and fret for another $125+ plus everything else. It's all good with 60 bu but I'd hate to see 35
Not to mention the fact that I'm sick of babysitting the **** stuff. Seeding depth is extremely fussy, can't push through a crust, then flea Beatles chew it off so spray once or twice for that, check it every third day to monitor for flea Beatles. Then it rains too much and what doesn't drown completely has roots all of 3" deep:rolleyes: soybeans are just so much tougher and resilient. Much nicer to grow and almost always more profitable.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not to mention the fact that I'm sick of babysitting the **** stuff. Seeding depth is extremely fussy, can't push through a crust, then flea Beatles chew it off so spray once or twice for that, check it every third day to monitor for flea Beatles. Then it rains too much and what doesn't drown completely has roots all of 3" deep:rolleyes: soybeans are just so much tougher and resilient. Much nicer to grow and almost always more profitable.
Isn't that the truth! I was checking today and canola that cabbaged out really nice is now waist high and not filling out, seems that canola needs to be grown in a green house, it's to cold to hot to dry to wet to windy not windy enough there's always something with the $hit, I'm with you guys on soybeans!

·
Registered
880 Posts
problem with soys is early frost.
plus its next to impossible to harvest them in the mud.
but those are the extremes at the end of the rope, but i'm sure we'll do it once.

problem I see with canola is the ****** contamination of canola seed! all the seed we received in 2011 had round up ready canola in it, for some reasons our fields are having volunteers while we never grown RR canola. If you pay $600 a bag than you expect it to be whistle clean!!
but ya their seed treatment has to improve its ridiculous that it doesn't work against fleabeetles.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
all the canola should be treated with lumiderm it was hands down much better but it is also pricier. We are half and half as far as soybean canola ratio. If the beans make it this year then I can see it going to 75% soybeans and 25% canola here. We are spending way too much on canola to keep it alive...need a 50 bu crop just to break even. Problem is I only have 1 field this year with 50 bu potential and many fields with 15-25 bu potential. My beans however can still pull off 30 - 50 bu/ac, actually I think it is doubtful if any of the beans will go below 30 this year, if some do then some of my canola will go below 10. Can't wait till harvest is over.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.