The Combine Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ve took land over that never had canola on it in its life and had the worst sclerotinia infection That year so I m not totally buying into rotation. And as far as weeds and resistance goes the day my fields are dirtier or more diseased than proper rotated crops is the day I ll change. Canola price falling may dictate less acres this year but who knows ?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sclerotinia does not just live on canola, if it was in that field it had other host plants before, including weeds likely or from neighbours. So your argument to not buy into rotation for that reason holds no water. And goes to support the need for proper weed management and rotation to lower sclerotia body counts among all farmers.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sclerotinia does not just live on canola, if it was in that field it had other host plants before, including weeds likely or from neighbours. So your argument to not buy into rotation for that reason holds no water. And goes to support the need for proper weed management and rotation to lower sclerotia body counts among all farmers.
Ya. But spores will move 20plus miles.

Just look south of the boarder at Corn guys. Some of those farms have done the same thing for 100yrs now and nobody is crying about rotation. Guys used to grow nothing but wheat before Canola was developed and nobody cryed about rotation. Peas after Canola isn’t the best idea of a rotation either but most guys I know think it’s a good idea.

Just remember how many guys said no till would never work 30yrs ago and look at how many guys had to stop no tilling in last 8 yrs when it got to wet and saturated. I’m sure of one thing in 40 yrs are farms will not look like they do today and crops we grow will probably change.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ya. But spores will move 20plus miles.

Just look south of the boarder at Corn guys. Some of those farms have done the same thing for 100yrs now and nobody is crying about rotation. Guys used to grow nothing but wheat before Canola was developed and nobody cryed about rotation. Peas after Canola isn’t the best idea of a rotation either but most guys I know think it’s a good idea.

Just remember how many guys said no till would never work 30yrs ago and look at how many guys had to stop no tilling in last 8 yrs when it got to wet and saturated. I’m sure of one thing in 40 yrs are farms will not look like they do today and crops we grow will probably change.
Farming will most definitely look different, I couldn't agree more. But rotation and will help with disease loads. It may very well work out to grow canola on canola but I will be surprised if costs to do so will not also continue to climb to make it work. Time will tell.

Back to the original question, we have always had more green seed issues with RR vs Invigor, and until we started spraying Liberty twice weeds were always a problem in the Invigor, but now they are as clean as the RR crops. Yes it's a bit extra work but well worth it in my opinion to reduce the glyphosate load on our soil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Deklab Truflex was the worst varriety we have ever grown and we have been Dekalb Fans for years 74-44 and 75-65 were solid varrietys but Truflex was garbage. Im never going to be a Dekalb Guinea pig again....no customer service

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
i Know farms that have been canola since 1996 when gmo canola was introduced there lands not dead there soil isn’t dead and they seem to be doing quite well. Last time I checked farming is a business and although money isn’t everything it’s a pretty important piece to the puzzle. Different area s mean different practices with different results people want a 10 year or 4 year rotation good on u I personally think rotation is something made up similar to religion so do what u want on your farm others will do what they want on there’s and no one should really give two shits. Your land your choice. My land my choice
Your saying the agronomic benefits of crop rotation is made up? So your seeding the same crop repetitively and seeing no disadvantage to doing that? What area is this? I think I need to move there.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Canola yields with RR Invigor and Clearfield are always within a bu or 2 at most for me. I grew all 3 one yr and 50 was the yield to 52. The new tru flex has interested me but the yields I hear are brutal on here with dekalb. I have never grown dekalb personally and have stuck with proven seed mostly here. Foxtail has become a problem and millet. It seems that it liked the wetter than **** conditions here we had a couple yrs ago for 3 yrs. Tru flex would solve a lot of my issue but am scared to be that guy who has crap for a yield. I hear from the retailer that they have new stuff in the loop that is better that you can purchase but only a couple yrs of data. Canola seems to be a clean a field up crop for me now. Yrs ago you didnt dare seed canola on a dirty field with Muster Gold as your go to herbicide. A wreck was imminent. Clearfield was the first to change that. With pulses in my rotation I need to steer away from clearfield for getting to much resistance from over use. Herbicide strategy is so important these days.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i Know farms that have been canola since 1996 when gmo canola was introduced there lands not dead there soil isn’t dead and they seem to be doing quite well. Last time I checked farming is a business and although money isn’t everything it’s a pretty important piece to the puzzle. Different area s mean different practices with different results people want a 10 year or 4 year rotation good on u I personally think rotation is something made up similar to religion so do what u want on your farm others will do what they want on there’s and no one should really give two shits. Your land your choice. My land my choice
Your saying the agronomic benefits of crop rotation is made up? So your seeding the same crop repetitively and seeing no disadvantage to doing that? What area is this? I think I need to move there.
Agronomic and economic don't always go hand in hand.

This year was the first time we did a bunch of cereals in as far back as I can remember. 55-60 bushel wheat is the same money as 30 bushel beans or canola and twice the handling/drying/trucking.

If guys are running 40-45+ bu avg canola I can see why their rotation would be snow.

·
Registered
999 Posts
100 bu barley here at $4 at feedmill. Seed was my own $10. 100 lbs N 40lbs phos. $400 gross - $54N - $26P- $18 carumba $24 herbicide=$278. The rest to be subtracted are fixed costs.
50 bu canola at $10= $500 gross- $60 seed(on cheap side)- $65N at 120lb $28P at 50lb $26 at 20 lbs S $20 fungicide - $15 stewardship fee- 2 passes of RR or 2 invigor $8-$30 depending on products used= $278- $256 an acre .Again subtract your fixed costs. Insurance, fuel, machinery expenses, rent or taxes etc etc.
More than snow between my rotations because both can be grown here and the feed mill is 8 miles away with zero dockage ever. 90 mile rounder trip with dockage for canola. Grass hoppers are about the only pest I need to worry about for bly where as canola can have flea beetle and bertha and diamond back and grasshopper issues. Everyone has different options to market in their area. This was just mine. Both prices were available for August this spring which I took. Everyone is always focused on wheat and canola it seems as the only crops available to them to grow. Malt barley was well over $5 not so long ago. You could get $3 oats this spring as well. Lots of incredible oat yields this yr. By Nipawin I hear 180+ this yr. So much less risk with bly and oats etc at these prices. Your bill growing crops other than canola are way less and make you less scared to open your retailers bill in the mail. Weather goes sideways and canola yields don't have to drop off much to really hurt your net that is for sure. Just my opinion but canola is way to overrated when you do the math.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Just remember with oats and barley you need more trucking and storage for them. But there is pretty good return on them.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
My neighbors know a family that winter next to them in Yuma. They claim they have been canola snow canola now for over 30 years with no issues from disease. Last year and this year their harvest will be done in the spring. Next years seeding plans all canola. This disease thing has me wondering also as I have grown lentils on virgin soil and soil that has never had a pulse crop and had a complete failure because of root rots. Then there is guys north of me that plant durum pulse durum pulse for 20 years with very little issues.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts