The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 acre square field I want to irrigate. Have a spring fed pond approximately 100 yards beside it. I want to go straight down the middle of the field and in center put in a medium range gun to irrigate entire field.

My question is, is this possible? Would I need two spaced out? If not what would I need?

Looking for something relatively cost efficient. No underground drip irrigation type setup. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Just pick me up a couple 24's of beer, and I think I could have 5 acres covered. On a more serious note, I don't have experience with the gun type irrigation systems so I might not be the best one to answer, but I think that might depend on the shape of your field. Obviously a circle or square would be best, since anything oblong will require 2 guns. While 5 acres may sound like a good size garden to the 4WD guys, that is a large area for a single gun and you will find it quite labor intensive if you are moving things around by hand. I worked with a conservation project that irrigated 8 acres of goat pasture with grey water using portable pots, and you definitely wanted a quad for the job. I assume from your name that you are from North Carolina, and I don't know what the gov't reg's are there, but here I doubt you would get a licence to use a spring fed pond for irrigation. I do know that some strawberry patches were irrigated using captured runoff, but I'm not sure what the licencing procedure was. You may want to check the reg's for your area first.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Try looking at a floppy iregation system. South African developed system. Is currently the system of choice for a huge development in the Sudan. Cheap and effective

1 - 3 of 3 Posts