The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a problem with strong winds (130 kmh). This and lower wind blasts can over turn our lateral sprinkler movers!
Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to
avoid this happening? We are not able to turn them 90 degrees to the wind direction.
Sky Plant Tree Land lot Natural landscape
Tire Sky Wheel Automotive tire Grass
Sky Cloud Plant Overhead power line Plain

The wind cause's the pipe to oscillate, then the pipe either fails or overturns!

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Depending on if it freezes where you are, I would think some water in the tires for weight would help. Don't know what it would do for compaction. If it freezes then calcium in the tires would do the same thing. I would call the manufacturer and make sure that the propulsion system can handle the extra weight though.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
There is no silver bullet, unfortunately, even if you can move them (These are laterals, not pivots?). Weighing the tires down probably won't help. Once the spans start resonating, it's game over. Perhaps with a lateral one thing you could do would be to put cement blocks under the spans in a parking position and attach cables to the underside of the V jacks in the center of each span to keep them from starting to rock. The towers would stay put in the span wouldn't start rocking. Would not need any tension on the cables really. They would just be there to absorb some of the energy.

A little over a year ago, high winds took down nearly 200 pivots across southern Alberta. Very few laterals here. These pivots were parked in all kinds of orientations. One of my neighbors had 10 machines tip over. Ours happened to be parked into the wind direction, so none of our machines were affected on that occasion. However despite our careful parking, this spring we had strong winds that were 90 degrees from the normal wind direction, and the way one pivot was parked near a hill, the hill funneled the wind just right that it took a single span and twisted it. Didn't collapse, but it bent the steel where the pipe attaches to the legs. Crazy to think about the physics involved! $17k later some new pipes were installed and the span is rebuilt. sigh. And don't get me started on insurance for pivots. Insurance companies just don't understand pivots at all.

You farming up in the Galilee region? Looks like the Hula valley to me in the pictures. What direction do your winds come from? I always enjoy driving through northern Israel seeing all the farming and love to see the pivots and laterals!

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I was going to ask if the winds come off the Golan, and I see from a news article that yes the winds were from the east and caused a lot of damage to Tiberias. Good to hear the lake is fuller than it was, but the waves off the lake must have been crazy! Were there a lot of irrigation machines damaged?

Here's what our span looked like. Kind of mind boggling.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no silver bullet, unfortunately, even if you can move them (These are laterals, not pivots?). Weighing the tires down probably won't help. Once the spans start resonating, it's game over. Perhaps with a lateral one thing you could do would be to put cement blocks under the spans in a parking position and attach cables to the underside of the V jacks in the center of each span to keep them from starting to rock. The towers would stay put in the span wouldn't start rocking. Would not need any tension on the cables really. They would just be there to absorb some of the energy.

A little over a year ago, high winds took down nearly 200 pivots across southern Alberta. Very few laterals here. These pivots were parked in all kinds of orientations. One of my neighbors had 10 machines tip over. Ours happened to be parked into the wind direction, so none of our machines were affected on that occasion. However despite our careful parking, this spring we had strong winds that were 90 degrees from the normal wind direction, and the way one pivot was parked near a hill, the hill funneled the wind just right that it took a single span and twisted it. Didn't collapse, but it bent the steel where the pipe attaches to the legs. Crazy to think about the physics involved! $17k later some new pipes were installed and the span is rebuilt. sigh. And don't get me started on insurance for pivots. Insurance companies just don't understand pivots at all.

You farming up in the Galilee region? Looks like the Hula valley to me in the pictures. What direction do your winds come from? I always enjoy driving through northern Israel seeing all the farming and love to see the pivots and laterals!
Thanks for your reply. Yes we are located in the Hula valley. Had 7 over turn last week with the winds shooting down from the Golan Heights. "Promised" more high winds this weekend and the following week. Still haven't got all up and irrigating from the last time. Big crop dammage from the winds as well.

[/QUOTE] Brown Road surface Asphalt Beige Pattern
Plant Agriculture Grass Groundcover Grass family
Road surface Asphalt Wood Landscape Grass

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to ask if the winds come off the Golan, and I see from a news article that yes the winds were from the east and caused a lot of damage to Tiberias. Good to hear the lake is fuller than it was, but the waves off the lake must have been crazy! Were there a lot of irrigation machines damaged?

Here's what our span looked like. Kind of mind boggling.
Sky Land lot Slope Agriculture Composite material

Not enough tome to make up concrete weights. Bales hope fully will do the job!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts