The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pricing a 974 Macdon and am concerned about the weight. My early 2388 doesn't have the 3rd cylinder or brackets to go with it.

Does Case sell the brackets to change the 2388 to 12-row ready?

I have a 1680 I am selling with the 3 header cylinders, can I rob the 3rd cylinder from it and put on the 2388, if I can get the brackets?

How mch weight will I need on the rear end of the 2388 2WD to keep it down?

Is this all worth it??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
3rd cylinder from the 1600 series should be the same and load the wieght bracket with all the wieghts you can it might be better as i ran a 36 on 2388 for a day and definetly wish i had that wieght back there

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Welcome to the boards.

Case does sell the bracket and cylinder. We had to add the third cylinder to our 2388 and they gave us a used one to save money. Didn't take any time at all to install. I can't remember off the top of my head how much ballast they recommend, but it's a lot (I'm thinking over 1800lbs, including fluid in the rear tires). We only have 600lbs of cast iron on the rear axle and it isn't near enough. We get by, though. Just have to be cautious.

I can't tell you if a 974 is worth it or not as we have a 973 (rigid), but I'm sure someone else can tell you about them. They seem to be well liked.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
In that case you need to spend....800-1000 for the cylindar and the kit (it was around that price)

also you need to go into the A-Post like if you were setting up your feeder house and tell it you have 3 cylindars...

·
Registered
117 Posts
you can put that on your 2388 no problem this is what you need: 1600 lbs. of weights (16 100pounders) and the bracket giving you around 1700 total. you need a heavy duty axle for this. that is an axle with 1 inch keystock welded to the top. can get by without fluid in tires. Remember you won`t be roading with a head on and in the field as soon as grain is in the tank you gain rear weight. of course this depends on what size your rear tires are. you will need a third cylinder and bracket. Is it worth it? If you do a lot of small grain then yes the draper is second to none as far as feeding. if you do mostly soybeans then a table would be more cost effective good luck

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I can get to all of our fields without removing the header. Not every part of the country is choked with trees, fences, and narrow roads.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just ordered washer fluid to be put in the rear tires of my 2388 because the rear end is too lite with just 2WD. My tire size is 14.9x24 which will hold 40 gallon each for a total weight of around 680lbs. If thats not enough to keep it down I'll add iron to the rear end. On my 2377 with 4WD and tire size of 18.4x26, they will hold 68 gallon each for a total weight of around 1150 lbs. The 2377 will be running a 30' FD70 which weighs about 400 lbs less that the 35 that the 88 will run. When I put the 35 on the 77 to see how it handled the weight (30' draper not here yet)the rear stayed down but I could tell it was still lite. When the 88 (2wd) picked up the head the rear end can off the ground when I tried to back up.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
yeah crank the wheel over one way and back up and watch the wheels spin... I hope that will be enuff weight if not u can rig up a weight bracket im sure

·
Registered
839 Posts
Guys in this area are roading 40 footers on 8010's just tip the roadside up so the little cars can go under! They do have to shimmy between the RRXing signs though on the gravel roads.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just had the tires (14.9x24, 2WD) on my 2388 filled with washer fluid. 80 gallons total, plus a full tank of fuel and the rear end is still to lite to handle the 35' FD70. I'm gonna have to add some iron........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts