The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I try stay away from the exhaust... a local guy buys semis and stretch them out to make tri and quad axels out of them. says its tough as **** to sell the new ones vs the old without all the emission regulations and truckers hate the added costs of having it.

I don't have any new equipment-does having all the new emission standards cost more to operate?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
After being around all this new tier 4 emissions stuff, I really can't stand the smell of older trucks and tractors exhaust. :eek:

Just thought I'd put this out there.
Its just you :D
Walk behind my diesel pickup and see how much you enjoy it:mad: its enough to knock a buzzard off a gut wagon

·
Super Moderator
5,272 Posts
After being around all this new tier 4 emissions stuff, I really can't stand the smell of older trucks and tractors exhaust. :eek:

Just thought I'd put this out there.
I kinda like the smell of hot fertilizer.;)
Good point though, you likely are not the only one and other than the diehards we will likely see a slow cultural shift.
Like any other technology we'll just get used to it and slowly the issues will also fade.:)

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Almost any electronically controlled diesel until the mid 2000s is almost odor free unless it has the HEUI fuel system, god can some of those stink... Then it went downhill for a bit but it seems a little better now. Just wondering what some of today's diesels are going to be like as they age. If we can't keep them running we are going to kill what's left of this planet replacing them.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I've had 2 powerstrokes (still have 1 of them) and they run HEUI injectors and don't notice any severe smell. I have 4 CATS (1-3406E, 2-C-15's and 1-C-13) which run MEUI injectors and they are fine and one mechanical 3406 CAT, that one (and my 970 case) stinks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Almost any electronically controlled diesel until the mid 2000s is almost odor free unless it has the HEUI fuel system, god can some of those stink... Then it went downhill for a bit but it seems a little better now. Just wondering what some of today's diesels are going to be like as they age. If we can't keep them running we are going to kill what's left of this planet replacing them.
That's the EPA for ya, they always look for the quick fix that in the long run usually causes more harm than good. They really should have thought this thru more and had a better plan of attacking emissions. We need to protect the environment, but the way they go about it seems to me like it's backwards.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
It seemed like the 6L Powerstrokes were the worse, man some of those stunk, park next to one in traffic and it could knock you out. I think the reason the 466s and such weren't so bad is they usually had the exhaust go up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.