The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick of this cold windy weather. Saturday was the only nice day since it snowed April first, and only had a handful of nice days before that. A good 10 degrees below normal, 16 degrees below normal today, calling for minus 16 tonight. Just wondering if anybody is getting nicer weather? Guess the temps haven't been horrible, just windy every day. Kids are getting cabin fever. Kind of disappointing to them to go from wearing shorts and riding their bikes one day to full on winter clothes again.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
-18C here their talking about a positive number by Thursday, or they could just keep pushing it forward. No melting here yet, mid May seeding date is being threatened. Normal seeding date for us would be May 10th. Need 2 weeks of melting I can pull the seeder out of the snow bank.

BBC94C24-BA0E-4A27-862F-F933261EFE3F.jpeg

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Nope. -18 here too. Just finished replacing a screwed heat tape on the water bowl. Cows should be happy shortly when the heat tape thaws the line. Frickin BS weather.

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
-18C here as well last nite, in spite of the cold, snow has been dropping, water been running during the afternoons even being generally ten degrees or more below normal. Seems to be melting from underneath due to the sunlight radiating thru it, top is so hard you can walk on it, but its hollowed out underneath. Stubble is starting to show thru in some places as well.
Have to admit with all the crap going on, having this retarded weather is just enough to really be annoying and bothers me more than the rest just how it is making some things worse, for example had hoped the cows would have been back into their oat swaths by now.
Sounds like things are about to change, least one good thing there I can soon reclaim my shop back, and even a positive thing with project sheep, took about a week of intervention, mom #2 suddenly one morning decided now she really wanted both lambs, so now every thing is all good to go, and now that its warming up can boot the whole lot outside at last. Can't believe how fast that older one is growing, he's almost as big as mom and only 6 weeks old lol

·
Registered
536 Posts
18 F here now and windy. Did some work outside this morning on the sprayer and was wondering why the whole time. I was combining durum on Saturday. Hilltops were firm. Low areas impassable. 20 and 10% chance of precip the last couple days and it has snowed on both of them.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
What happened to the locations under our avatars? Don't know where everybody is anymore.

-11C here this morning, no wind.

Even the warmer days seem cold, I remember +5 in the spring sun being much warmer. It's weird working outside in what feels like - 5 and the phone and pickup show +6. It seems we are just not getting that radiant heat this year.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I think it hit 3 degrees today in my part of Southern Alberta. When the wind stopped blowing the sun almost felt warm. But then it blew again. the winter wheat looks like it wants to get going, but the cold nights have refroze the top half inch or so, but seems like there is some warmth underneath from previous weeks. Hope it survives. The irrigation ponds are now mostly thawed, though the nights are cold. So spring is trying. There are meadowlarks in the area, and lots of hungry gophers out. I'm sure we'll have to do a lot of baiting in the canola fields this spring.

I suspect when winter is finally sent packing, it will be warmer than average spring, and I expect a hot, dry summer again this year.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fkn beautiful here!(y) Warm and sunny!:love:
And one more person on my "ignore" list!

Not even any grass growing on the south side of the house or barn yet, most years as soon as the snow recedes back from the buildings the grass will green up, might have to do with the constant overcast skies.

Reactions: NVW

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's been on and off here south of Winnipeg. Weeds are growing in the flower beds. Been on my streetbike a dozen times already. I would guess we'll be in the field in less then 3 weeks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts