The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the Seed Guide it is leaps and bounds ahead of all others. Have been reviewing some trials done by farmers and from their results it isn't performing the way it's all hipped up to be.
Personally I grew a little this past yr and it wasn't the top one. We pay a lot of money for the "best" varieties but when farmers grow them they don't turn out to be.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ordered half 252 and the other half L130. L130 and 5440 ran the same in 2014 they were seeded at different times but noticed 5440 had more white mold problems which held down the yield. 252 is supposed to be a little better in it's updated disease package. We will see.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
we grew 252 this year came out the ground nice then at flowering looked horrible compared to the pioneer h31 but only the h31 that was seeded to heavy at 6lbs the the a proper rate was horrible compared to other years

when it came to combine the 262 was best yielder buy far the h31 that was seeded to heavy at 6 yielded mid to high 30s the 5lb per ac stuff 15 to 20

yes I talked to pioneer but as normal everything but seed issues

would grow 252 in a hart beat

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
All the ones mentioned above in a proper trial yield so close to the same there is technically no difference.

Of course if you put invigor on the best land, early, high fertility and compare it to an RR on land that should be grassland, there is a difference.

To say 252 is the best, you have to be working for Bayer.

http://t.co/aPm0tKyKL9

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well I guess we know who works for Pioneer!! 252 on my farm was the best. I straight cut all my canola had 5440 L154 and 252. The 252 stood great and combined even better. Splitting acres between L154 and 252 this year. Had a Pioneer trial with all 4 variety's and it wasn't even in the same Zip code! Just saying

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I always shake my head at the whole RR vs LL debate. It can get quite heated at times!

What I do know is that on my farm, I can't get RR canola to yield. It is always 10-25 bu/ac behind the LL. So I grow LL canola. (Which fits in really nice with the steadily increasing acres of RR soys!)

BUT..... my neighbour grows only RR canola. And he has the exact mirror image results on his farm compared to mine. He always has LL canola yielding 5-10 bu/ac less.

Andrew

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I always shake my head at the whole RR vs LL debate. It can get quite heated at times!

What I do know is that on my farm, I can't get RR canola to yield. It is always 10-25 bu/ac behind the LL. So I grow LL canola. (Which fits in really nice with the steadily increasing acres of RR soys!)

BUT..... my neighbour grows only RR canola. And he has the exact mirror image results on his farm compared to mine. He always has LL canola yielding 5-10 bu/ac less.

Andrew
So maybe the question to ask is "If you see a difference, are you doing something wrong, that if changed, you could improve your own personal yield for any variety of canola on your farm"?

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
For me 130 has been a good variety. We booked all 252 upon the recommendation of our seed supplier but have never grown it. I think for ourselves it would be wise to do half 130 and half 252. From our small trial and the bayer trials in southern SK it looks like 140 was no better than the other invigors and in some cases worse. One advantage of a shorter season variety like 130 is if it turns hot in later July it gets more of its flowering done before the heat. When 150 came out it was the best thing since slice bread. Fortunatly we had some 130 side by side with it the first year to see it was better. In looking the Bayer data I am wondering if 252 can handle water logged conditions better.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
This last season on irrigation in Alberta, we averaged about 72 bu/ac on 5 quarters, with the best field being about 74. On the yield monitor there were a few places it jumped to 100, but that was probably just a monitor glitch! Pretty impressive yields, the highest we've ever had on Canola. The crop grew very tall. Much taller than I'm used to. Wasn't too bad to swath with the MacDon swather. Liberty (only sprayed most fields twice) did an okay job at weed control. Still had a lot of buckwheat grow through it.

EDIT: This is L252.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMO varieties such as 130 do the best in short season areas, as it is a short season variety. I'm in mid season and grew 130 and it was the lowest yielding one I grew. All the rest I had were rated mid and they yielded far above 130. Atleast that's what I seen!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
There were some organized trials around here (SE sask) and 5440, 130, and 252 were always within a bushel. 252 usually was on the higher end of that.

That was no glitch when your monitor went to 100. Ours often go way over that even on fields that average 30.(ya I know we are getting near 0 on some of the field) Goes to show that yield is not limited by variety but rather weather.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.