The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a better way than the "air scoop" to get actual "clean" air into the radiator and aircleaner of 96XX and 97XX deere combines? why does deere not have some sort of rotary cleaning for the intake air? it gets old having to pull filters out every morning on 4 combines and spend 10 minutes blowing each one out once the fodder, beans and straw get dry and dusty. this can probably go for all makes and models of combines, but these are the deeres we run at work so they are the ones i have the most experience with.

·
Registered
136 Posts
According to the operators manual you would see that Deere recommends that you only clean your air filter when the buzzer goes off. Not sure why anyone would want to wait that long to clean the filter out but Deere must have some sort of reason behind it. Anyone from Deere want to chime in on that?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have heard that a dirty filter will clean the air better than a new one, dirt in the filter acts as a filter. Anyone else heard this theory?
Obviously a real dirty filter will reduce air to the engine, but a partially dirty filter is fine.
I guess I subscribe partially to this theory, I don't blow my filters out everyday, but if they are starting to get a bit loaded up with dirt I blow them out then. I have never had my buzzer go off.

Maybe this is what Deere is getting at?

·
Registered
289 Posts
When still harvesting, I used to wait for the buzzer to go off, for above reasons. There is no point in overservicing an air filter and blowing holes in it.
Last wheat harvest I had a customer complain about his filter plugging every day. The buzzer was going off and the engine lost power. I found the aspirator hose had come loose and dirt was suct through the opening.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
That's basically it, also the more you clean a filter the more the chances of damaging it.
Someone will know better but I believe a diesel turbo charged engine will not lose power
until 40 inches of air intake vacuum?

Don

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, the way i figure it, the more vacuum an engine makes, since its thirsting for the same amount of air, it will fill that air space with something....whether it be from engine oil sucked past the turbo or rings, or use more fuel, etc. but when i take the filter out everyday and can feel a difference in weight, it needs to be cleaned...and if its not done everyday, then it takes 5 times longer to get it clean. im not trying to waterboard the engine! hahaha!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yeah, think of it as designed to work when quite dirty, since it begins getting dirty immediately. The question comes down to does the buzzer go off simply when it's time, or as an urgent alarm?

We have tractors with "mechanical indicators" and a warning label to not overservice.

Long time no post, Ralf? Welcome back!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm not sure your assumptions about filling the vacuum with something would come true. Possible yes, a given: no. Do you see a degrading in performance by the end of the day? What's the difference if you do it longer less often or more often for less time? Not picking on you or arguing, what's working for you keep at it and good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
You need to check the ASPIRATOR
Be sure the check valve is not stuck. Inspect the hose to be sure that it is tight and that it is not kinked, cracked or collapsed. Is the muffler worn out? Any of these problems with the aspirator will cause the filters to get dirty prematurely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2 9670's with ~250 hrs
1 9770 with ~800 hrs
1 9660 with 2,000 hrs

the 9770 gets the dirtiest, but it also has the hydraulic spreader after the chopper. the filters get the "normal" dirty. its just a PITA to have to blow them out everymorning. wish they had a better way to get clean air and pre-clean it better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Drive a combine without a cab and you will see that the system they have today is pretty darn good for cleaning the air going into the filter. My filters today after running one day are cleaner than I used to be after driving one full day without a cab. Blowing filters is a problem us "old school" boys just dont have a beef with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts