The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had moisture sensor issues the over the years on my STS combines. I go through at least one complete sensor each year at a cost of around $3000 each time. I usually have the dealer take a look at it because I don't like electrical issues, and most times they say the motor is bad and/or the circuit board too, so they tell me the cost is roughly the same to replace the whole component.

The last couple of used 60/70 series combines that I bought had holes cut in the clean grain elevator with covers put over them from an aftermarket moisture sensor that was taken off.

Does anyone have experience with aftermarket moisture sensors and recommend one? Do they just plug in to the JD harnessing so they run through the GS3 and commandcenter displays? I think I'm done with Deere's after my 3rd one went out this year (I have 3 machines). I can't keep spending this kind of money to get a moisture reading. I'm very frustrated so any suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Holes in the clean grain elevator are for ag leader moisture sensor. Not sure if they are compatible with the GS3, previous owner may have run the ag leader stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have had locked motor on the sensor three times this season. I open the access cover, back off the screw, button everything up and two weeks later same problem. What is causing the motor to extend plunger to the point of locking up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
All the compontes in these meters are replacable. Motor stalled,relay failure andactuator shorted are the common ones of these. And the circuit relay board is usually the problem. And is just over 300 dollars. And a simple calibration after the install. Yes there is alot of problems with them and alot of them out there but we have to make the best of them. This is much cheaper than the hole thing being replaced. One more thing. Ensure the cycles per minite is set to (1) per/min. This is set on 4 per/min after the software is installed or updated. And can be set on the 60 and 70 series. Obviously this will increase the life of it severly.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Those ones in the grain tank, remove them if you don't store you combine inside out of the weather. No matter what type you use, make sure to clean them out at the end of the season. These 2 things have the biggest killers for moisture sensors I have seen.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Never heard of a small grain kit for these things either.

On our last combine (05' 9760) I installed an Ag Leader system. I liked it a lot and it never ever gave me any trouble. However when we went to the 9870 I switched back to GS3 as I wasn't in the mood to pull a bunch of crap off just to buy a bunch of other crap and install it. I have been told that on the S series you can use the Ag leader stuff as they are essentially the same.

·
Registered
324 Posts
OK so here is another option if you HAVE to replace the ENTIRE moisture sensor. It is a COMPLETE moisture sensor. Sensor, motor, plunger, circuit board. It is a field conversion for 50 series machines to take the elevator mounted sensor off and install the grain tank moisture sensor. It will come with tempplates and brackets that you would not use but it is $2500 for the entire kit. Bundle number PF90872. if you were to need all the components it would cost you: $3000.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had 1 this year that gave problems like stalled motor... I took it all apart... The brushed were bad... I used brushes from a semi ac fan motor that was laying around. Didnt have any prolbems the rest of the year. Those sensors are pretty much a joke. Ive never had one on any sts that made it thru the whole season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.