The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 750tt with 45’ macdon. This is my fourth wheat crop with this machine and never had this issue. This crop is very similar in yield and conditions to last years as well. ~100bu/ac SRW wheat, picking 1200-1700bph.

This year was my first year trying a PGR, and honestly cant see much difference in the straw, but it is standing which was the goal.

Anyways, I put on new straw chopper knives (stationary also) before starting in this crop. Old ones were very dull but never gave me an issue. I picked 250ac with no problems, it was still a little tough. A couple small rains later and some dryer straw and now im constantly getting “straw blockage” alarms sometimes with a few “straw chopper not in working position” alarms sprinkled in. If i go back and bang the door a few times, it will go away for a bit then progressively start alarming more and more again until its once every 10seconds. I can see some straw trying to push out between the door and spring loaded plate. At first i thought it was all electrical, as i never plugged and can see it spreading in the mirrors. But then i started noticing more and more pulsing of the straw behind me. It looks like the chopper stops throwing, builds up and then throws out a ton, and repeats.
Ive watched and verified the chopper/radial/chaff spreaders all maintain their speeds. (This is the chopper that has the fixed radial spreaders not the wiggly ones).

I disengaged the stationary knives halfway and no change. I will go all the way shortly. I could also go to low speed, but i really need to chop this straw up so we can plant beans behind it, so i cant give up too much chopping.

Is this the bridging ive read about? Everything ive read on that says its caused by tough straw and dull blades, neither of which i have.

I also tightened the springs on the blockage plate one turn to make it less sensitive. I have one discharged paddle at the back of one rotor thats bent and could possibly be slinging more material rearward than down. That would be tripping the sensor easily, but I still have the spreading issue.

Anyone dealt with this?
Sky Plant Cloud Tree Natural landscape

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Composite material Engineering

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Natural environment

Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive tire Vehicle Natural environment

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The bent discharge paddle could be causing the straw to bunch up giving you the alarm. And also the uneven pattern. If your chopper goes out of position does it stop turning?
Its just the last 4” or so of one paddle bent at a 45*. Id be surprised.

Yes. I actually did plug it one time when i played with the door a bit, tightened it up too loose and didnt depress the position sensor on the side and plugged within 80ft. It didnt alarm me until it was plugged, so i guess im a little confused on why im getting two different codes stemming from just the blockage door sensor.

Anyways, im running in low speed with the knives engaged now and is has been doing perfect, it just doesnt chop as well obviously. I did gain .5mph after though as engine load was my limiting factor. I guess i was really putting the chopper under a lot of load despite being plenty dry
Sky Cloud Plant Ecoregion Natural environment

1 - 3 of 3 Posts