The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a fababean rookie and something doesn't seem right with these over the last week. Not to mention they took a beating with two heavy rains in the last few days, but it looks like plants are dying. Is it disease or is this normal crop ripening? I see lots of tops doing it too, breaking off in places (100+ km/hr wind will do that I guess). Looking for some info if anyone has anything to offer. I did spray these with headline back on July 5th ish.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok if chocolate spot, does that cause the leaves to schrivel up and turn black? And you that make portions or the stem weak? Should I have sprayed again?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice mustang. That is chocolate spots. We have never sprayed for them. I wouldn't worry about it. The plants should be ripening off soon and will lose all there leaves. It looks like you have some very good podding going on there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
sprayèm

The first year we grew Faba beans we didn`t see too much disease. Last year was a tough year for disease on faba`s on our farm here north of Yorkton. We ended up spraying for Ascocyta and chocolate spot. Headline held it back well for about 2 weeks. Accapella seemed to hold it back 2 weeks as well. As soon as 2 weeks were up the disease spred fast and we sprayed fungicide again. This year we have a new blight as well as chocolate spot and ascocyta. This year the plane has been busy again. We have put down Bayers new product Propulse on 1/2 field, Priaxor DS on the rest and that seemed to hold the disease from spreading well till last weekend. Monday and Tuesday all fields got a shot of Accapella and hopefully that will hold the disease pressure till harvest. Aphid numbers increase every day, hope they don`t hit the spray threshold. I have found disease`s love Fababeans and if you`re going to grow them be prepared to spray if you want a decent yield, in my opinion. Every fungicide we have tried seems to work well but not for long. Two to three weeks protection is about all we seem to get.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Looks like Chocolate Spot for sure, wouldnt worry to much about it. But from what I have seen these year in the beans regardless of variety is that disease has shown up well after pod development. Most guys IF they sprayed a fungicide sprayed at flower timing similar to a pea or lentil. I was always told from the seedgrower to spray Lance for Chocolate Spot once the pods are all visible not at 30-40% flower. Might be something to this from what your seeing and when you said you sprayed. On the other hand, I know a fella whose been growing Snowbirds for the past 4 years and doesnt see a response on his farm to a fungicide in faba beans period. Take pictures, learn what you can, every year seems so incredibley different. But your area is made for faba beans dont let chocolate spot scare you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts