The Combine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
A friend here just purchased his 4th one " upgraded two older 490's to the newer ones " and yes they need a little figuering as most do but even as is their is no comparison to a 9600 .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Friend of mine toured the Belarus plant a couple years ago. His main take was that they can't comprehend the NA market. No history of customer satisfaction thinking. No concept of consumerism really. A century of captive market.
Sales were high as most were to govts or large corporate in the former bloc or Asia, Africa etc.
As an operator you drive what your given.
Here in NA, I learned long ago, never buy an oddball.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Friend of mine toured the Belarus plant a couple years ago. His main take was that they can't comprehend the NA market. No history of customer satisfaction thinking. No concept of consumerism really. A century of captive market.
Sales were high as most were to govts or large corporate in the former bloc or Asia, Africa etc.
Sounds like AGCO dumping Massey for the Ideal.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I inherited a Belarus 825 and 1770 when I took over my uncles farms. They are truly unique animals but I've had relatively good luck with them both. Having said this, I seldom let another operator run either tractor as, with discontentment, often comes disrespect. In other words, if your operators aren't happy, its easy for them to take it out on the machine. And with little to no resale value, they're worth more to me as secondary power than to anyone else. I can totally relate to your friends' observations, Blackpowder! ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am by havre and they are offering very low lease rates. I'm considering trying one. How does the capacity compare to something like a jd s670? I have operators who love mechanical levers, so that won't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Stick to what there good at Tractors. The rest is a waste of time.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Where did their drills or seeders come from. Did they buy out someone or develop it in house.
The drill came from Ezee-on which Buhler (the parent company of Versatile) bought. Their independent opener drill looked really interesting to me, especially the automatic adjustment of packing pressure based on a guide wheel. Neat stuff.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Stick to what there good at Tractors. The rest is a waste of time.
In all fairness they didn't build their own headers, they got all MacDon's, put Cummins engines in them, built a very simple machine built to handle rough field conditions. Built to handle operators that would treat them like Russian military equipment. The combines were good by all accounts, Something I'm sure 2 generations ago would've been more than adequate with creature comforts. (it is self propelled with a cab after all).

The Sprayers are a mystery... they bought Redball sprayers and factory, a company that went broke once and all they built was sprayers, changed minimal designs and 10 years later are dropping the sprayers because they are unprofitable... why could that be? (sarcasm)

The biggest thing that happened was that the Russians took the former series of tractors design, tooling and castings to Russia and pumps them out at a ridiculously high rate as Rostelmash branded tractors as they know they are good designs and good machines. Still dropping Cummins engines in them even, mating them to a standard transmission as I hear the Russians prefer them to a powershift.

Reactions: torriem

·
Registered
748 Posts
A lot of Versatile problems is the lack of dealers selling there full line of products. We were interested in the Air drill, but there was no dealer within 200 miles handling the drill. Mazer group had the New Holland cart that we were interested in and Versatile 4 wd tractor, but didn't handle the Drill. So we bought a new Challenger tractor and Morris air drill and cart.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Claas provided some engineering assistance with newer Rostselmash/Versatile combines; - in fact, headers designed to fit a Claas will also fit a Versatile/Rostselmash! I think that's where the similarities end.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
A lot of Versatile problems is the lack of dealers selling there full line of products. We were interested in the Air drill, but there was no dealer within 200 miles handling the drill. Mazer group had the New Holland cart that we were interested in and Versatile 4 wd tractor, but didn't handle the Drill. So we bought a new Challenger tractor and Morris air drill and cart.
Look at the pain and agony Claas has/is going through to market their products in North America. They started on their own, then cuddled-up to Ford (632/642/Dominator), then Massey Ferguson (8450/8460), then CAT (Yellow Lexions), and now they're finally setting up their own dealer network. Still, some dealers (in Ontario) sell only hay tools, some only combines, and it's just recently they've moved to establish full-line dealers like GJ's in Burgessville and Milverton. In Versy's case, many of their dealers already sell a combine line, planters, and several tillage lines. Aside from tractors for which they're best known, it's tough to convince any dealer to stock parts and train staff for yet another product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with you guys. Claas has an awesome combine. Now they need to have the dealer support and be 30% cheaper than a John Deere. That will get them going. I have 2 lexions and my "local" dealer is Ziegler in Altoona Iowa. My farm is in South Georgia 1000+ miles away. We got the Lexions super cheap and they have been great, but our next combine will be green.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Actually those russians are pretty smart bringing back home north american intellectually rights. That 2400 russian tractor sure looks like my old 2375 buhler versatile. Its a cheap tractor no frills style. If you look on there website they have a full line up of AG equipment just about. Sprayer will thrive over there. That company (ROSTLEMASH) probably could care less if there is a few farms running versatile combines in North America. Maybe Massy or Gleaner will end up in Russia as well. Might be a better combine than what they presently have. Unfortunately , Should be rules set up to stop good technology and innovation being sold to communist countries. But I guess the mighty buck that buhler got from the russians is all that matters. Running Versatile tractors since the early 70s.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Yeah it is the old Buhler versatile (ford) tractor. They took all the tooling back to Russia when the new Versatile 4WDs started production, and they crank out those old reliable tractors for eastern block countries.

Off topic, but I just saw a picture of a Rostlemash swather. It has steered rear wheels, rather than castering and differential propulsion. Brochure claims it can still turn the swather in place. I bet most of us would find normal steering in reverse to be quite difficult after spending years backing up our swathers using reverse steering.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah it is the old Buhler versatile (ford) tractor. They took all the tooling back to Russia when the new Versatile 4WDs started production, and they crank out those old reliable tractors for eastern block countries.

Off topic, but I just saw a picture of a Rostlemash swather. It has steered rear wheels, rather than castering and differential propulsion. Brochure claims it can still turn the swather in place. I bet most of us would find normal steering in reverse to be quite difficult after spending years backing up our swathers using reverse steering.
It would be the same as a combine then?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts