The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year we purchased a low hour 2003 - 2388 combine. It has factory 18.4x38 duals. While looking it over in our shop pre-harvest, we noticed all four of the Titan wheels had cracks running between the lugs. Took plasma with a V gouge tip, and V'd out each crack, then welded up and ground down smooth before re-assembly. Torqued each lug nut daily for first two weeks during wheat harvest, and check tightness often. They are not running loose. After 500 hours of use, the wheels are now begining to crack out again. Dealer wants $4000 for 4 new wheels. Anyone have a suggestion to cure this problem?

ps. only using a 1010 30', 1083 corn and 863A all crop heads

·
Registered
39 Posts
WE had the same problem with an 02 2388. Titan wheels cracked right where the name was stamped. After welding the wheels would crack again. New wheels from CSI tire of Iowa been on a year now with no problems.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
A neighbor has an 8820 with Kirchner duals that cracked at some point. To keep it from happening again he was told to run the inner duals at 20psi, and the outer duals at 12psi. Don't know if it helps, but it might be worth a shot. After he welded up the cracks he added more steel to the rim to stiffen it some. This was a few years ago and I don't think he's had a problem since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you mean between the holes for the lug bolts? If this is your problem, I can tell you how to easily fix for very little money. No need to buy new rims. We had the same problem on a six row cotton picker. Much heavier than a combine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would recommend trying to find a set of 18.4-42 rims and tires. We have numerous in our area with 8- 12 row 30" heads on and haven't cracked a rim yet and we break fewer wheel bolts. The 18.4-38's that we have had around are always breaking bolts and cracking out rims all the time. We tried different bolt torques, different air pressures, and even adding a solid plate under the heads of bolts instead of the individual spacers but no luck. We even had a couple of local machine shops cut out the centers of rims and weld in thicker centers but they had trouble getting their welds to keep from cracking.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've got the same problem on my 2188 and not only are they cracked in between the lugs they are also cracked where the dish is welded to the rim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts