The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6075 hours on the purely mechanical N14 engine and I have no low end engine power. It happened all of a sudden. I have to shift gears going downhill and once I get it to rated engine RPM it pulls the load perfectly. For a while if you reached 1600 rpm the governor would pull it up to 2300. At times it is 1900 before it will spool up instead of 1600. It can take 30 seconds for the engine RPM to slowly come up if you coax it and has no power until reaching the high RPM. When I get full RPM, I was pulling in some major hills and the engine would drop down (just testing) to 1500 RPM and tractor 20% slip, hang in and then recover. If I were to try a downshift, I would lose it as I suffer from no torque at bottom end of RPM and pulling back throttle is a big no no. So it looks like with throttle fully open, RPM high, I have no problems. I just can't idle down for turns or for anything as it goes into "limp" mode or to start out with any kind of load is impossible.

I had the injector pump rebuilt as it was suggested by my mechanic that is was sucking air past the seals which was causing the problem. He changed the seals etc. - it is still not helping. Before that, I changed fuel filter. I have not looked at collapsed hosing yet leading to fuel pump which he suggested I should troubleshoot next. I even checked for fuel coming out of bottom of fuel tank. The man that rebuilt the fuel pump set it is not the governor which consists of a rod and weights and said they were in good shape. Anyone else ever see this problem or have a possible solution? I am just trying to get done seeding. I am now down to 50 acres but it is been a struggle all season long to put seeds in the ground. I checked to see if fuel was coming at the bottom of the tank, it is not plugged there and fuel ran out good. Can a bad STC valve cause this symptom? He didn't think so.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I blew out the outer air filter about 100 hours earlier as the light was coming on for air restriction. The filter was full of dirt. After cleaning the light didn't come on again so I assume cleaning it helped. I did change the fuel filter, just not a second time. The filter that I changed had 350 hours on it. Alll our fuel used is filtered at the slip tank as well before pumping into the tank. I am using bigger fuel filters (Fleetguard FS1000) which is bigger than the one the tractor came with originally as it is longer in length and has more capacity. So I think I am beyond that step.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I know on our Quadtrac we usually have to replace the air filters them at around 100 hours, but a stupid design by CNH that can’t be blown out.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If you have good power at full rpm I would think the fuel Or air supply wouldn’t be an issue.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Change the air and fuel filters again. Use a FS1212 it flows more than the fs1000, which is finer micron and can restrict flow. A fs1000 isn't needed for an old n14.

Replace the lines going from the fuel tank to the injection pump.

We had that problem on a 9370 and it was the line from the tank to the injection pump. It was collapsing after 7500 hrs.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Change the air and fuel filters again. Use a FS1212 it flows more than the fs1000, which is finer micron and can restrict flow. A fs1000 isn't needed for an old n14.

Replace the lines going from the fuel tank to the injection pump.

We had that problem on a 9370 and it was the line from the tank to the injection pump. It was collapsing after 7500 hrs.
Was it the short hose after the filter and in between the filter and the pump or was it the one attached to metal line coming out of the tank and leading to the filter? I noticed that when I spun off the fuel filter which I had toked with fuel initially when I changed (this was my second investigation), It was only half full of fuel. It should be about 7/8 full I am guessing.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
we have gotten the wrong micron rated fuel filters before and it can make a tractor a dog. Android line from intake to pump would be another place to look. I wonder if the turbo isn’t creating enough boost at low end

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we have gotten the wrong micron rated fuel filters before and it can make a tractor a dog. Android line from intake to pump would be another place to look. I wonder if the turbo isn’t creating enough boost at low end
I am going to have a good look at that android line between filter and pump. I have always used the same fuel filter unless they mismarked it. The tractor became a dog before I put a new filter one and continued to be a dog with a newly changed filter. I had one of them lines fail on a Mack Truck. Couldn't figure out why the air governor wasn't cutting out properly. I was spraying soap and the line was bubbling the air out slowly. It was not an obvious leak!

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I see that I fumbled my post earlier. Definitely check out the aneroid circuit if it has one. I’m not sure if that has the diaphragm unit or not but the diaphragms can fail. The 9682 that I drove at one time had a fuse in a position in the rear of the cab that would actually shut the engine off suddenly if it got too warm. I’m certain I removed that to prevent the shutdown of the engine, but a small portion of my memory is telling me there may have been a different position to place the fuse to induce a limp mode instead of a shutdown. The information on that is in the operators manual somewhere.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
That same 9682 was configured to 9882 injection and timing specs. I eventually learned that it made far less engine heat at 2100 than 2300. The trade off was that you just moved a little slower with a standard gearbox.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Was it the short hose after the filter and in between the filter and the pump or was it the one attached to metal line coming out of the tank and leading to the filter? I noticed that when I spun off the fuel filter which I had toked with fuel initially when I changed (this was my second investigation), It was only half full of fuel. It should be about 7/8 full I am guessing.
On our 9370s the filter housing is hard mounted to the injection pump, it was the long rubber hose between the tank and the filter housing.

I would replace the fuel filter with an fs1212 and any rubber lines between the injection pump and the tank on your tractor.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Does that have an aneroid line from manifold to pump? Supposed to help keep it from smoking until it has enough air from the turbo. If it was broken or leaking it..., should keep it from ever getting enough fuel and have exactly the opposite problem you are having. Never mind.

Does it smoke? What color is the smoke? When is the smoke? Smoke can tell a fair amount about a diesel.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Does that have an aneroid line from manifold to pump? Supposed to help keep it from smoking until it has enough air from the turbo. If it was broken or leaking it..., should keep it from ever getting enough fuel and have exactly the opposite problem you are having. Never mind.

Does it smoke? What color is the smoke? When is the smoke? Smoke can tell a fair amount about a diesel.
But a small leak or partial blockage of aneroid line might limit fuel till full throttle when it creates enough To open the rack up. A boost gauge might be useful

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

There is absolutely no smoke - just gutless at low engine rpm. The breather for fuel tanks had some dirt over it. I cleaned it and it made no difference. That could have been an issue I thought. The tanks are well sealed apart from this breather.

Reactions: lanwickum

·
Registered
426 Posts
The symptoms your N14 is showing are similar to what my 855 BC3 cpl1194 was doing , except mine would flat out sputter to a stall, restart , good , get hot , stall , repeat I took the pump too three different shops , changed solonoids, gear pump, govener, did injector o-rings , cleaned every fkn line, filters , etc was ready to trade it off

I had every mechanic I knew check it out, then I met Wally gallant , Cummins hot shot western Canada

we spent longer in my shop waiting for the rain to pass than it took him too diagnose …not sure if that old timer is still around as this was 15 years ago or so

not sure it’s your problem , but check your friction clutches driving your fuel pump ,
hold the crankshaft damper still and see if you can bar the pump drive over , u should not be able too … mine were completely fkd..

·
Registered
2 Posts
G'day,
We had issues with N14 in 9370QT going to full revs and occasionally dying from 1800 - 2000 rpm work speed. Turned out to be a speed sensor. Check it out if fuel and air don't appear to be the issue. New sensor and it was sorted instantly. took a bit to get the correct sensor. Cheers from Aus

1 - 20 of 20 Posts