The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a 05 8010 put 2000 eng hours on it with no trouble at all now have a 8120 put 500 eng on this harvest no trouble.
lucky you dont have the new 9770 4 hav blown within 50km of my home no more than about 400 eng hours.
How many engine hours on your 8010?

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
How is it lucky? I'd rather have an engine fail inside of warranty and have it replaced for free than have it blow up after 5 years and be left holding the can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have an 2004 8010 with 10.3L iveco, put conrod and gudgin pin out the side of the engine, also broke crank shaft, and thrown valve's. Also funny enough week later, another engine done the same. Anybody heard of this in the Iveco "Curser" engines in the 8010 or like. VERY DISPOINTED

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've run a 2004, a 2006 and right now a 2007 model 8010. My biggest fear with these combines is an out of warranty engine failure.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Dis-regard the JD 9L and the Iveco 10.3L saga. Sorry, it's just bad luck I guess. I haven't heard or seen of any Iveco's (10.3L) "blowing up". I'm sure you're insurance would cover it???

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
Speaking of blowing up...
Went to Linden Agri-Center (LAC) in July, just north of Linden there is a trail of oil (and some shrapnel) on the highway leading to a New Holland 9060 in the ditch.
I continued on to Linden, walked in to the service manger's office and said
I gather there's a story behind that tractor in the ditch north of town?
To which James replied in his normal even keeled layed back manner "Yeah, yeah there is".
A while later the tractor rolls in on a truck, the mechanics head to it like flies to a ...well you know.
I was crawling up on the truck when Russel, one of the mechanics, says "get down Boles, nothing to see, nothing to see here!
Then he started to laugh. He was driving the tractor when # 2 piston exited the block and hood.
Less than 3 hours.
It gets better.
The next morning I meet Doug at Deere in Trochu, tell him this story.
Five minutes later Ivan drops by.
You guessed it, it was Ivan's tractor that had cratered.
I didn't know if he knew yet and I wasn't going to be the one to tell him.
Turned out he did not know yet.
The tractor ended up at Cummins in Calgary for a complete engine, LAC ordered a new tractor for Ivan and I assume LAC has a new with even newer engine 9060 for sale.
All names mentioned here are my friends, so I think I'm OK.

Don

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is it just me or would you agree that new equipment today is less reliable than what we would have expected in the mid 90's? Back then you never heard of these sorts of things. I suspect that the manufacturers have to spend so much money trying to meet continuously changing emission standards that they are skimping elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
This isn't really a reliability issue as it is a catastrophic failure.
While extremely rare they do happen to low hour engines regardless who builds them,
I know of two similar cases with both Cat and Deere.
It might be more to do with how fast and far info travels these days, just like weather events,
50 years ago you wouldn't know about a lot of the severe weather, now we get live coverage.
On the other hand there are far less engines in the fields now then 50 years ago,
you would expect less failures like this.
Hmm, not sure.

Don

·
Registered
886 Posts
In my belief i think that modern things are built with designed obselesence.

Things just arn't made to last anymore, i geuss it keeps you buying parts or new machines. pretty smart ploy.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I haven't heard of any Iveco's blowing up. I hope it is a isolated thing. As we have a 2005 8010.

However.......I've been thinking, and have come to the realization of something. You bring up CaseIH engines blowing up on the CaseIH board. It is discussed normally among the readers.........You bring up John Deere engines blowing up on the John Deere board. Then a bunch of John Deere loyalists immediately jump in, claim BS, and say that your just trying to bash John Deere......

This reminds me of a song there was a few years back.......

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Interesting, we bought a NH H8080 and the dealer said we wont do the warranty papers until you start cutting. Fair enough i thought, then once driving it home around 35km I wondered what would happen if the engine blew up on the way home.

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
Well no.
I started running tractors in the mid 60's, you got me thinking, I now cover ground 7 times as fast as I did in the 60's.
Plus that was the 50/50 summer-fallow days.
So as far as engines in the field, no, there are far fewer than bygone days.
Jacob as to designed obsolescence, I think it just feels that way when your on the technological treadmill.

Don

·
Registered
809 Posts
I started running a combine back when I had a harvest speed of 2.25 mph, ( don't ask me how my dad came up with that speed but that's what it was) if you missed lunch at the end of the field with the road you sure were hungry when you made it back.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts