The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to replace the external pto shaft seal. The one you can see when you look at the pto shaft. I have a couple of questions:
Do I have to remove the hexagonal plate affixed with the 6 bolts, to access the seal.
and
What is the best technique for removing the old seal...presumably it is simply pushed or pressed into place and there is nothing else holding it in place.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Drain hyd oil and drill a small hole in the seal and use a hook tool to remove the old one and drive the new one in place with a piece of pipe the same sizes as the seal.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger that! Grainline.
Much obliged!
Lynas

·
Registered
653 Posts
Put a vacuum cleaner duct taped to hyd fill and use a seal puller from napa and pop it out. Use pipe to reinstall. I have everything ready to go and just pop it out real fast and shove the new one in.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got her done, 5stateag!
I did the job with the oil in there.The old seal really did not want to come out. I used the drill hole, pry, mutilate and repeat method and eventually it gave in.
Cheers.
Lynas

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Put a vacuum cleaner duct taped to hyd fill and use a seal puller from napa and pop it out. Use pipe to reinstall. I have everything ready to go and just pop it out real fast and shove the new one in.
You can get a Venturi set up for that, has a bsp thread and run it from a air compressor. Have held 200l+ Of oil for quit a while with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts