The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has used a 1910 tank with sectional control. Looking at upgrading our current 1910 to a new 550 bushel model just for sectional control purposes. My main concern is with the design of it. When a section is shut off the seed stays in the meter and just keeps going around. Is this going to grind the canola seed up inside the meter or not?

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Unless there was a demo for use or a prototype, I think 2015 models are the first year for production of Deere's version of sectional control.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had a 550 bushel demo unit, worked fine with canola and fertilizer.
Hey mat, based on your demo experience, can you answer a couple concerns of mine with the design of the JD sectional system?

1) When you are seeding canola, and a sectional gate is closed for say a half mile pass, how badly does the canola seed get ground up going around and around inside the meter roll?

2) Again when seeding canola, and a sectional gate reopens, how big of a shot of canola seed is released from between the gate and the meter roll? My thinking is a 1 or 2 cup-fulls of canola seed wasted every time a gate opens is a **** expensive way to save money!

3) Can you deactivate the sectional control for 1 tank (i.e. canola), and still run sectional on the fertilizer tanks?

4) IF (and Im actually thinking "WHEN") a gate gets stuck closed for whatever reason, do they have a sensor on there now to detect its still closed, or that one section of one tank is not delivering product? Because if you are running starter fertilizer with the seed, the blockage monitors won't detect it if say one seed section is not open when it should be.

Anybody else got some experience with it care to comment?
Thankyou :)

EDIT- What the ****, they edited out "****"!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I only had the demo for a short day, so I didn't really get used to it, so I cant really comment on #1,2 however the crop came up very nice and I never saw an area that had more seed than others. #3 not sure on that one. #4 yes there are sensors for each compartment and in addition the blockage alarms will go off every time about 5 seconds later, very annoying actually.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure you can deactivate it on one tank. Im running sectional control on our nh3 setup behind our 1910 and when you go to your setup screen for your on/off times each individual tank is listed along with my nh3.

·
Registered
813 Posts
This is my understanding and experience from seeing the stand alone meter turning live at JD's 2015 product launch hosted by our dealership.
1. They showed canola that had been turning for a time period in meter, very little damage (can't recall the amount of time but it was half mile equivalent distance from what I remember).
2. I believe the gate closes at the inlet of the meter so no extra canola would be entering the meter so once the gate opens it would instantly fill the meter and start pushing seed out again. There may be a little bit of seed that gets pushed out when gate closes and meter keeps running if cart bounces or is on an angle but just a guess
3. My understanding is yes you can deactivate a set of meters
4. The default position is open for the meters so if there was an electrical or electronic issue of some sort or part failure the gate should default to open.

My bigger concern is for larger seed, peas, fababeans, etc vs canola and the potential for damage. They showed what soybeans looked like after half mile with meter turning and surprisingly they look ok, but lots of peas are bigger and faba's certainly are

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the gate closes at the inlet, how does the seed stay inside the meter then? Wouldn't it have to shut on the bottom to keep it full?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think its the inlet, I'm sure that's where the controls are installed on the tractor side of the meter housing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My thought is if new seed isn't coming into the roller the roller would not push seed out as it would just sit in the bottom of the meter cartridge and the roller basically wouldn't be able to push them out without new seed from tank helping to push it. Maybe I'm not understanding the flow concept of their meters but I think that's how it works. There is a lot of space between roller and cartridge in each meter, always lots of canola sitting in there after tank is empty and you do a cleanout.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Guess I was totally wrong, sorry about that. The only info that I have of any help is the product that I seen that had been run in the meter while closed. Canola was very little damage, bit more on seed treated seeds but not a lot (wheat and soybeans). Definitely more concerned now with fababeans and peas, may not get it added now.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guess I was totally wrong, sorry about that. The only info that I have of any help is the product that I seen that had been run in the meter while closed. Canola was very little damage, bit more on seed treated seeds but not a lot (wheat and soybeans). Definitely more concerned now with fababeans and peas, may not get it added now.

I wouldn't buy a new cart without section control just because of the potential savings on inputs.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah it lists at 27 grand. I'm thinking it is way cheaper then Morris, and cheaper then bourgault and less complicated.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks guys.

Those of you that are using these units this spring please keep us reported on your results. Really good payback if it proves to be relatively trouble free.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
When a section is shut off the seed stays in the meter and just keeps going around. Is this going to grind the canola seed up inside the meter or not?
Apparently at Farm Progress show last year in Regina they had a pail with canola that had been in the meter recirculating for a long period of time(I can't remember how long but it was much longer than any typical situation encountered in-field). The seed was just fine.:)

20K is still too expensive and would have a very long payback for me but I was looking at ordering an 1890/1910 this fall and probably would have put it on.;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Say at 4% fewer acres seeded...

Wheat 100 lb N $50
35 lb P $22
2.2 bus seed $24 = $96 x 4% = $4 ish per acre savings

Canola 100 lb N $50
35 lb P $22
4.5 lb seed $51 = $123 x 4% = $5 ish per acre savings

So $28000/ $4.50 saved = only 6222 acres payback for me on a drill that will likely do over 30000 acres before I trade.

SW- I guess you just switched to fall NH3 so your numbers are different,
but I'm a buyer if this thing works!:)

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Say at 4% fewer acres seeded...

Wheat 100 lb N $50
35 lb P $22
2.2 bus seed $24 = $96 x 4% = $4 ish per acre savings

Canola 100 lb N $50
35 lb P $22
4.5 lb seed $51 = $123 x 4% = $5 ish per acre savings

So $28000/ $4.50 saved = only 6222 acres payback for me on a drill that will likely do over 30000 acres before I trade.

SW- I guess you just switched to fall NH3 so your numbers are different,
but I'm a buyer if this thing works!:)
Probably going to switch and very low cost for sectional on NH3. My worst half this year was 8% overlap! It was the last field seeded and was super wet, pretty much seeded in a jigsaw puzzle fashion.:( That is not normal at all. Most everything else has about 1% overlap on average so it would take me a few years to get my money back assuming zero operating cost. There would for sure be a PITA factor with this stuff!:rolleyes: I had both GPS and applied acres on the X30 so I knew exactly what overlap was. I have lots of full quarters/halfs/sections so it's basically the last pass that has overlap.;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.