The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a guy across the little valley is selling all of his stuff. He has never been interested in farming, and doesn't care about the equipment. He has got a JD 4020 with a loader for sale. He has never had the loader on, but it is all there. Back tires are almost new. No major leaks, sync shift, everything seems to work, but the 3 point lever was stuck. I drove in every gear. Hood is beat up and a few things, but it is not a huge deal. I do not know the price yet, but he hasn't wanted much for anything else.
It could be a cheap solution to horsepower. I believe parts are very easy to get. Can these things be built up a bit, and fix it up nicely?
I think it would be plenty powerful for what I need to do for now.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would think you couldn't go wrong if he doesn't want a whole lot for it. New rear tires is good, does it have a cab? I honestly don't know a whole lot about them since they were made 25-30 years before i was around. We've never had one on the farm. Good Luck!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Pretty hard to beat a 4020 if you have a need for a 2WD tractor of around 100 HP (I think they're around 85 on the drawbar and 95 on the PTO.)

John Deere basically invented the modern farm tractor with the New Generation tractors which came out in '61. The 4020 was in production from '63-’72. The later ones are better. The earlier versions had a kind of funky positive ground electrical system. These tractors have good hydraulics and make good loader tractors.

Parts are easy to come by. Nearly 200K were built and most of them are still in service. They're popular around here as utility tractors and hold their value quite well. In this part of the world a decent 4020 with a loader will sell for around $10K; sometimes even a little more.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
NH, get the serial number off of it. There are a few things to look at and for, and to tell you what they are, I need to know what series of production it was. There are several changes over the production life of the 20 series and instead of giving you a general comment, I will give you one specific to that version.

For the right price, even an early one can be a good unit. The later ones are much better. Also, check if it has an alternator or generator. Many of the early ones were converted over to 12 volts from 24. Post a pic of the starter if you're not sure. The change over is worth about 700 bucks.

Is it a Deere loader? Also, what model of loader?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No cab. Diesel.
The loader is not a Deere. I do not remember the make, but I will go look at it again as soon as possible, and get the serial number as well.
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Kneel down behind the tractor with the drawbar poking you in the family jewels and look straight ahead slightly to the right and you will be looking right at the serial number tag:D

·
Registered
529 Posts
NH, I have 2 of them, synchro and power shift. They just do odd jobs around the farm. Legendary tractors that made JD, and you can still get bits for them. A good investment.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
It all comes down to price. There is a collector value to these tractors, at least in the midwest, so you will have to pay a premium.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Value has held up very well in most areas for these tractors. We bought an early powershift diesel in the 70's for 10k and it's still worth that today. I don't think I've ever seen one at an auction go for less than $7,500 (rough) and most with a decent loader would sell in the $9500 to $11k range. Some guys with loaders were known to put 5020 front axles on them as the front spindle is a weak point if you pick up large round bales. I have a blade on ours and have only broke one spindle in the last 40 yrs so it's not a real big concern. Very handy tractor, dependable, easy to work on and parts are still widely available. I converted ours to a single 12 volt battery (large truck battery mounted on the frame by the starter) with a delco alternator and it was worth every penny. Only thing I would change would be to go to a single wire alternator next time as that dorky little plugin on the delco is prone to rusting if it's left outside a lot. I also moved the electrical wiring to a panel on the top of the cab to keep it away from leaky old hydraulic lines. With the 12 volt alternator and relays for the light switches I have lights as bright as the 4440's. The only expensive repair we've done on that tractor was rebuilding the powershift tranny in 1985... cost us around $5k then, I'm sure it would be more than double that today, but still well worth it for the tractor. Always said if ours blew up that I would spend the money to drop a new motor in it just because it's so handy.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Serial number is T213R 198230R.
He says that he would be happy with $4000, but open to offers.
Hour meter shows 7000 hours, and he said that the previous owners had rebuilt the motor.

·
Registered
372 Posts
We have one. Great tractor! But like Buck alluded to there are some bugs depending on the serial#. Check the rear frame to transmission/engine bolts and make sure they are tight....they have tendency to loosen and break on some machines.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
$4,000, runs good, mostly original sheet metal, pretty straight? What are you waiting for? I'd show up tonight to shake hands and offer him a check or offer to bring cash in the morning.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
1968 model, last year for the controls on the dash. If original it will still have the 24 volt starting and charging system, that I would replace. I have a '68 powershift and it's been a fantastic tractor. It being a powershift probably makes it the smoothest tractor I have ever operated. Since I've owned it, it's done about every kind of field work to be done. I've never drove a 70-72model with the different 404, but I have heard that the 67-69 were very good.

Knob out and down, for max power!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yep, we had the old series powershift as well... great tractor for around the yard. I use it with a blade to move snow and run the stonepicker. At $4k you've got some wiggle room to make improvements and still be under it's $9500 value. LOL...my knob broke off so we just backed off the linkage a little and run it full down all the time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts