The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm new on this forum. Just thought I would post a couple of pictures of our JD 4400 (1976 MY) harvesting oats this summer. We have a 300 acres dairy farm, so there's no need for a larger machine. Really nice machine to operate...

Also here are a couple of pics of our neighbour's 9650 and his 9320 artic

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Nice job of picking up those lodged oats. Were they snowed on? One year in the Peace River country, we had snow every month of the year! Fortunately only one year.
Nice pictures! makes me want to move back to Alberta!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No they weren't snowed on, it just happens every year, we don't know what we're doing wrong... might just be the variety. It was a real pain harvesting that field. I got the header plugged with soil because I went a little too low

·
Registered
547 Posts
Real nice pics you've got there!

Is the plough good at burrying the trash from the corn? I would have thought it would have been hard.

- Gordon

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great photos. Oats are a great cattle feed puts a good skin on the beasts. I take it

What type of soil you got there an 8 furrow with 2 dropped off and 400 odd ponies pulling it overkill maybe. There are guys around me with 8 furrows and a Deutz 165/7 (165 hp) pulling 8 and another with 6 behind a McCormick 140. They do say they would be better with 180-200+ hp but both have 1.5 tonne+ hanging off the front

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no way someone could pull a 6 furrows behind a Mc 140. We have very heavy clays around here. This one pulls a 7 furrow with a 400 hp artic, another neighbour pull a 6 f with a 9280, and a couple of 4250s-4455s with 4 furrows. We manage to pull a Gregoire Besson 5 f with our 4250, but it takes a lot of adjustments to make it possible... The one pictured has to lift one body when it's is too wet. Makes me laugh when I see the world record with a 17 f and a Quadtrac, I have never seen anything bigger than 8f in Quebec, even on Quads...

Gordon: plows do a very good job at burying corn trash, but our goal is to leave as much as possible to protect from erosion. I will try to post some pics of our plow soon.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i know about the problem with fussarium but
if you leave lots of trash on top why you a still plowing?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I guess there is so much bulk from the corn stubble, that they want to try & bury some & reatin some, as CF says, to minimise erosion.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bushel: this is exactly why we decided to stop plowing... no tilling is just so much easier than spending fuel on plowing and then again more on spring tillage. So we decided to no till all our corn and soybeans, and min till oats. But many of our neighbours just cannot NOT plow, they have done it all their life, so why stop now? (you can't show an old monkey how to smile). Here's is some bean drilling on our farm.

Some pics of JD 4250 plowing with a 5f Gregoire Besson plow & some more of the combine with yield monitor....

·
Registered
174 Posts
really nice pictures!!
what is that white piece on top of th seed tank?
a roller for corn foil??
yeah since the fuel is that high it makes much more sense
to not plow but as you said old farmers wont stop doing old
habits.
Important if you do not till is that you have enough room
from corn to wheat but i think you know all that.
This is not against GMO but you might also find
that the bt corn takes longer to fall apart
because of the poison that the bacteria dont like.

what bean yield do you get?

·
Registered
31 Posts
some places can get away from the plow but others can't also no till corn has had its up and downs in the no till situation our big problem of why we have to do somesort of major fall tillage is the 8000 cdn gallons per acre of liquid dairy manure we apply to get rid of the stuff---by law it has to be worked down within 24 hours after spreading has stopped

just a comment on the horse power issue on plows around me guys are using 125hp on 5-18's 145hp on 6-18's (like a 7800 deere) and 165 on 7-18's (like an 8120 deere)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is our solution to the manure problem: we have a ramps which incorporates manure as we spread it. We do nothing else during the fall, and nothing in the spring (except sometimes a pass of cultivator).

·
Registered
660 Posts
When do you harvest oats? Same time as Winter Wheat?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Do you have to keep map records (GPS) of where the manure is applied etc?

Jono

·
Registered
174 Posts
from my point of view they wont have (as far as i know they dont in alberta)

is there a us state where you have to keep gps record of manure spred.?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I used to work for a controller and GPS company that was asked to and did develop a monitor that logged GPS position and application rate to a data card and then produced verification maps for state regulations. This was in close proximity to waterways so it way not apply to you.

The flowmeter was huge - 6-8" electromagnetic sucker.

Jono

·
Registered
508 Posts
Now thats the way to do it. No-till. Beans and wheat are easy but corn can be tricky. Strip-till is the answer but either way unless you have edibles, you don't need to plow but then again edibles can easily go on wheat stubble fine.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
174 Posts
interesting but did have to record it with gps by law??
do you know where to find pictures of the flowmeter
or can you decribe it more? where was it located?
at the moment i just can think of the flow meter on a JD sprayer
and that for sure would not work for manure;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts