The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to change the fuel filter on my 4630 and 6600 both have the 404 engines. Problem is now I cant get the air bled back out of them. Put a new primer pump on the 4630. I can get almost all the air out but not 100%. The 6600 is the real PITA since the filter is on a slant and the air is not near the bleed bolt. Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm not sure if the 4630 has the same fuel filter setup as the 4430 or not (two square glass filters) but what I do, is instead of using the bleed screw, I open the hose between the filter housing and injection pump. On our 4430, that is the highest point in the system, and if you crank it a little, and push a primer pump a couple times, that is usually all it takes. That said, I have had to loosen a couple injection lines off the main injection pump in order to bleed the air out of it. Please note I said loosen, not remove!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has the same setup two square filters I will try that. Any thoughts as to a bad fuel pump pushing air into the system? I ask because this tractor died on me in the field this year disking. That's why I changed the filters thought they were dirty.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Check the sediment bowl, Im going to take a guess that it is plugged. You can also check the elbow that goes into the bottom of the fuel filter housing, it is a one way check valve, but I have seen it get plugged as well.

I could see a bad diaphram in the charge pump introducing air into the system.

I have had all the fuel lines off our 4430, and flushed the main tank and the whole system. We had an issue a few years back with someone putting dirt and I think sugar into our belly tank of the tractor which caused all sorts of problems. When I got it all cleaned, and put back together, I couldn't get the air out of the system. Turns out there was air in the injection pump and wow it was a headache to get out. Cranking injector lines is what allowed me to get it out, but in the end, I had to be on the ground bleeding, and pumping manual primer, while having someone in the cab starting it.

Also remember there is a shut off at he bottom of the front tank, in the hole in front of the front axle. Shutting it off makes life much easier to clean bowl, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another thing you might check is the fittings going into the injection pump. One time on a 4430 we had a wasp get in one of the banjo bolts and really restricted the fuel therefore would barely run

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it started but air is coming in the filter supply line. I haven't had time to do much been to busy at work. I checked the sediment bowl it looks good and I replaced the gasket. I think your right about the supply pump should I replace it or rebuild it.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Dexron 2 in filter is a lot easier to bleed as it doesn"t foam. Or 2 stroke oil or seafoam. Anything but diesel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts