The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any one out there that can tell me if you can replace the bearings in the planetary's on a 4830 as a preventative maintenance measure. I recently had one of the rear planetary's crap itself, and the whole planetary had to be replaced. At the cost of $10,000 aussie dollars for just the planetary I don't really want the others failing anytime soon.My machine has 2800 hours on it and does go over some pretty harsh terrain.
Even though I found the problem as soon as it started to drip a little bit of oil (only about a dozen drops) it was already too far gone to be able to use again. Any advice to what I can do to try and avoid this happening again will be greatly appreciated.
:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just replaced a rear planetary on my 4830. Very common. Are you running duals? Change rear planetary oil with jd synthetic every 100hrs if operating in mud or severe conditions, roading long distance. Rear carries most of the weight, rear planetary will run 40 degrees hotter than the front. This heat cooks the oil. Usually if the bearing are going it has worn planetary gears. Gears and housing need to be replaced. There was nothing left of mine to rebuild. Never did leak oil, I just noticed a small vibration. My oil always smelled burnt in rear planetarys until I changed to 100hr interval. I never did send in a oil test.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I just replaced a rear planetary on my 4830. Very common. Are you running duals? Change rear planetary oil with jd synthetic every 100hrs if operating in mud or severe conditions, roading long distance. .
You are joking are'nt you. Change the oil every 7 days!! Surely the big green engineers were not so useless as to design a machine that needed that!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yes I'm serious. Local jd dealer recommended it when running in mud/soft fields with wide tires or duals to keep sprayer on top. (My planetary was the sixth one they sold last month) That is why the new jd sprayers have a larger planetary that holds more oil. Changing them ever 100hrs is a real pain. But still easier than replacing planetary at $6,500 each (parts no labor)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Local JD dealer was bagging the Rogater hubs and I told him JD had the same hubs as my 1396. He said I was wrong as they use a Bonfiglioli hub which he had great pride telling me it was 51% owned by JD. The newer Rogater do use Bonfiglioli hubs hence my interest but I don't know whether they are the same size as the 4830

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
There was a change up half way though 2012 to a heavier hub on the 48s I had to wait for 2 from Italy I believe and also believe there is a pip about putting to much oil in rear hubs and it creates bubbles and gears don't get lubed right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They use the same hubs on the JD as the rogator. The difference being is the JD planeterys are much higher geared to enable them to get the road speed. When I done a bit of work on rogators we took 4 hubs of a 1396 at Bonfiglioli's request to see what kind of wear they had on them. The machine had done 3200hrs and the report that came back was extremely good. Very little wear and no damage at all. I believe the only two failures they had seen had nothing to do with the internals more the brake packs that were on them.When i done services there would always be 1 motor that the oil was a bit dirty but every oil sample came back clear.

·
Registered
324 Posts
As for your FIRST question.. No the bearings can't be replaced in the rear planetaries. They don't give you a part number for them due to being cheaper to replace the entire planetary versus repairing it. The fronts you can get the bearings for I believe. I have rebuilt a few planetaries on 4720 sprayers and will just replace the entire planetary before rebuilding. The seal for the hub is a metal to metal seal that has to be put together with no lint, dust, dirt, etc. on it. the tolerance is .003 in. runout. Setting the preload is a pain in the rear. They are very tedious and time conusimg to rebuild.
As far as preventative measures tye adding BG brand gear lube additive. I have heard it helps make the planetaries run cooler. I have one guy that roads his full quite a bit and we change oil two times a season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.