The Combine Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Differential section should have Hygard instead of gear oil. The hubs still take 85W140 GL5 gear oil. This goes back to 50 series row crop with john deere front axle not ZF. Also the 3 steering hoses that go through the firewall will be about worn through. They will blow and make a huge mess either in the cab or on top of the engine. Keep the transmission system clutch pressure in spec as well. Great tractors

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a several of 50/55 series JDs, and they all do have one common problem now that i think about it. On every single one, between 8-10K hrs, a little door - stop spring breakes !!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Differential section should have Hygard instead of gear oil.
Here is a picture of the page in the owners manual for a 4960, third series to use the Deere 1100 Series axle, as per oil specs for the front hubs and differential specifying gear oil only. CTM-17 which is the tech manual for the 1100 Series axles also specifies gear oil.

Not looking to having a pissing match, but if you know different than please post where you are getting your information from and something to back it up. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here is a picture of the page in the owners manual for a 4960, third series to use the Deere 1100 Series axle, as per oil specs for the front hubs and differential specifying gear oil only. CTM-17 which is the tech manual for the 1100 Series axles also specifies gear oil.

Not looking to having a pissing match, but if you know different than please post where you are getting your information from and something to back it up. Thanks.
OK, so 85W-140 goes in both hubs and axle box?
Is this with ZF front axle or JD?

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
OK, so 85W-140 goes in both hubs and axle box?
Is this with ZF front axle or JD?
In the thirty years since Deere came out with MFWD I have never heard or read of anything but gear oil being used in both of these axles in the 50-55-60 series tractors. Every owners manual, every tech manual, all of them say gear oil. My 4850 come from the factory in '88 with gear oil in it, and over 12000 hours later still has gear oil in it.
I wish one of these guys who claims otherwise would speak up and explain....:confused:

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
What you are saying Alberta is correct but I had a 2950 with the zf and I ran hydro sauce in it, Deere dealer recommended 75-90 as there was a lot of problems with that oil in server cold but after the switch to lighter oil they were no longer having problems

·
Registered
15 Posts
Problem:

1. GL-5 (SAE 85W-140) gear lubricant becomes very thick and sticky in cold weather causing drag and poor seal lubrication.

2. Increased seal leakage is caused by pressure build-up in differential center section.

3. Excessive lubricant drag can possibly cause differential quill locking pin to bend or break.

Solution:

Note: also see DTAC solution 22037 for MFWD differential noise with non-metallic disks on 7000 series tractors.

<<<Some 7010 series operator's manuals (issue G6) were printed with incorrect oil specifications for MFWD axle in 'fuels, lubricants and coolants' section. Correct oil spec; MFWD axle housing uses Hy-Gard oil and MFWD wheel hub uses GL-5 gear lubricant.>>>

Field and lab testing has shown that replacing GL-5 (SAE 85W-140) gear lubricant with John Deere Hy-Gard oil in differential center section will improve MFWD axle performance in cold weather. There was no evidence of damage to limited slip differential and some improvement to both bearing and oil seal life.

On John Deere and ZF axles and in differential center section only, drain GL-5 gear lubricant and fill with John Deere Hy-Gard (J20C) oil. Operate tractor with MFWD engaged for 10-12 hours to flush gear lubricant. Then drain and refill with John Deere Hy-Gard (J20C) oil again.

Note: John Deere does not recommend use of gm limited slip additive (#1052358) with Hy-Gard oil.

Important: Do not use Hy-Gard oil in wheel hubs. This may result in decreased final drive sun pinion life. Recommendation is to continue use of GL-5 gear lubricant until further testing is completed.

7700, 7810, 4455, 7800, 4555, 4755, 4955, 4050, 4250, 7210, 7200, 4450, 4560, 7410, 4055, 7400, 4760, 4650, 7610, 4255, 7600, 4960, 4850, 7710

This is what I use ever since John Deere came out with the DTAC solution in 2003. It says its for better performance in the cold, but it doesn't say to switch back in the summer. This is only for Row crop not utility tractors. I have put hygard in many front diff's and haven't had one shuck out yet including my own with several thousands hours run. Less drag on the diff makes things run more efficient.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have replaced a complete front mfwd at 400 hrs because the lock pin broke causing the side nut to back off. drilled out the hole and put in a heavier pin on the new one. also put in hygard oil

·
Registered
274 Posts
ive also been using hy-guard in those diffs and planetaries on our own and customors. no problems and add the gm slip additive in the 10 series diffs because the deere stuff does not work . this all on advise from local dealer as stated in above posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Bought a johny 4960 yesterday. Around 8500hrs and in good used condition. Didnt pay alot of money for it, what is there to look out for on these tractors? Any help appreciated. Cheers :)
I would go to your deere dealer and get a winter inspection sheet.

·
Registered
502 Posts
In the thirty years since Deere came out with MFWD I have never heard or read of anything but gear oil being used in both of these axles in the 50-55-60 series tractors. Every owners manual, every tech manual, all of them say gear oil. My 4850 come from the factory in '88 with gear oil in it, and over 12000 hours later still has gear oil in it.
I wish one of these guys who claims otherwise would speak up and explain....:confused:
Cat got your tongue?

Better clear up your earlier posts

21 - 33 of 33 Posts