The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 653 row crop header and was wondering if it can be used on corn? Manual says it can be used on any row crop except corn. Only was possibly gunna try it on limited acres if it would work?Any experience on the matter good bad other wise qould be helpful would be helpfil thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have several customers that have used all-crop headers for corn. Some hate it and others think it works well. Your capacity is very limited due to the fact that you are putting most of the plant through the combine.

But there are a couple of adavantages. The residue is dealt with already so no need for a stalk shredder, etc. And because the corn leaves are going through the machine instead of under, there's no issue with them getting sucked into the cleaning fan (if you don't have screens).

I find all-crop headers to higher maintenance due to more moving parts so if you were to use it on a regular basis your costs would be higher than a comparable corn head.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you have limited acres (under 100) they work fine , otherwise too slow, cumbersome . If you use a snapper head you will wonder why you wasted all that time with an all crop

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sure, it can be used for corn. Will probably have to go slower, as you're taking in the dry stalk, but otherwise it's no big deal. A few months ago, I saw one of my neighbors shelling corn with a 630R platform - WITH THE REEL ON. Last year, saw another use a 930R without a reel. Both situations had very short stalks with the ears pretty low. Bottom line is - do what works best for YOU. If you've got a row crop head, no corn head, and relatively few acres, by all means 'go for it'. Not the best situation, but most of the time the best situation involves lots of $$$$.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I can remember when we had only 30 acres of corn. Dad had a brand new 6600 and 653 row crop head. Dad had just gotten rid of the old 55 combine, so he wanted to see if he could get by without buying a corn head for just 30 acres. I think it was the first year the 6600 was available, corn heads may not have been available due to shortages.

Anyway with a 6600 that corn harvest was a tough slog. That was to much material for a brand new 6600 to swallow. Dad bought a corn head for the next years harvest.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
My godfather's dad did this once, I believe with a Massey Super 92.
Corn was shorter, so he built a bar about 3' off the ground that bolted to the front of his row crop tractor, I think it was a 4020. This bent all the corn over, broke the stalks. He then drove into the bent over stalk, and the reel pulled it in. It worked well because he grew corn for only 1 or 2 years, but he said it definitely did wear to the cylinder and walls. It was slower going, but a lot cheaper than buying a corn head.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. Not exactly sure what I'm gunna do but I'm probly gunna start looking for a corn head. Just wanted to see what kind of experience people have had with a row crop head. Glad to know I'm not gunna be in a huge bind if I can't find a reasonably priced head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts