The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the specs on a JD6600 combine? Found one in a shed been sitting up for years in good shape low hours but need to know more about what this machine is.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
J. D. 6600 [1970-1978]
Eng Hp is around 115 or so. This is not exact.
Bin cap is about 100 or so bu
Cylinder width=44 inches
Header width=16' to 22'

Not a bad sized combine at all, during its period. Some 24,000 or so were made or thereabout.
The parts you will need are still readily available from most major combine salvages. I cannot begin to quote prices, but make sure your savage-run parts are good. The belt drive [Posi Torq] is rather simple to repair, compared to a hydrostatic system.

The first choice in parts, is Mike's Equipment www.mikesequipment.com

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Bama,

Combiness was pretty close on her specs. The following are from the Feb 1976 grain and maize combine brochure, which should cover the last ones made.

Cylinder width: 44 inches
Walkers: 4, length 130 inches
Engine: 329 CI, 104 HP @ 2500 RPM
Fuel Tank: 57 gallons
Grain Tank: 112 Bu with extentions
Rigid Headers: 13-22'
Flex Headers: 13-20'
Row crop heads: 4-6 row
Weight: 15,000 lbs with platform (approx)

Any other questions, let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure on year. It is a soybean , grain and corn combine. It is a direct drive not hydro. I think it might be a '78 or maybe 80 model?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little more specific question is. Is this machine worth trying to salvage? The Clutch is froze, the brakes are froze. It has been out of the weather but will need all belts and I'm sure some bearings and chains/sprokets replaced. Approxematley how much would it cost to get this machine ready for the field?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No Not a Jersey. Great info. Thanks. Went to try and bring her to life today. No luck. I needed a little more juice in my battery. Going back tommorrow and try again. I think this machine will do what I need on my farm. Looking to do a little custom work locally. It will make a nice little project for shop anyway. (asif I need another!) The last thing it harvested was beans I need a 444 corn head anyone know where a good one sits?

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Thank you, 8100. it has been a long time since last reading up on the old 00's. The cyl size and max header width are the things not totally forgotten. I no longer have my library of combine sales lit and manuals for exact reference.
Still, I never even thought of the corn heads, but knew that 6 row was also max.
I really have a warm spot for 6600's because that was the combine I learned to cut with.

Bama, I have faith you will get that 6600 running again and have a lot of fun, too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Combiness, I hope you're right. I will definetly have alot of fun. I know where to come to when I hit a problem. The people here definetly know thier stuff when it comes to combines. Great site I'm glad I found it!!!!

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
You're right, Sam. 1974 was the first year of the rotary screen. Their engine covers also had the solid panel, too, with the ventilation at the bottom, which blew down to the feeder house.
1973-1974 ones also had the "visor" extension on the cab. 1976 had the railing around engine deck. 1977-1978, had the catwalk with the railing. I know there were numurous other features, improvements and changes in the 6600's 9 year history.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well Fired her up today!!!! A little problem with fuel shutoff solinoid but fixed it and got to here her purrrrrrrr.
Now to fix the brake and clutch issue. The guy that has this machine has two 6600's one is hydro the other standard. I am looking at getting them both. They are both very fixable. Now which would yall suggest getting going/using now. As far as I know the only differnce in the two is just that hydro/standard RIGHT? One machine has 2100hrs the other 1800hrs. both have straw choppers. The one I have been working on has the catwalk/rails around the motor Also has the extended sun visor. Both 2wd. There are three levers on the steering colum what is the one on the left for? Havent gotten it to do anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Since you have two versions, the latest model with the catwalk/rails and visor, I can't guarantee the specs are the same, specifically on the engine. A visual will tell you if both have the 329. If my memory serves me correctly, the early diesels may have had the 404. I could not find an earlier dated brochure in my archives, so someone can probably give you a quick link to the deere.com site and find the specs for a 76 or earlier machine.

The lever on the left is most likely the hydraulic reel height control. Raises or lowers the reel on the platform. If there is no platform attached, then obviously you won't see anything happen. If there is a platform attached with a reel, and nothing is happening, check to be sure the hoses are connected, if they are and still no action, then it is troubleshooting time, ie sticky valves or hose obstruction etc.

You are fortunate to find these low hour machines. As far as which one to get going first, hydros are much more user friendly, but that is a call you will have to make. Which one takes the least amount of work to get in the field (and has the best cab AC). All kinds of variables to consider. Have fun.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
On my 4420, the lever on the left serves 2 purposes. With a platform, it raises the reel above the cutter bar like others have said. On a corn head, the same lever is a varible speed control for the header.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would fix the one with the hydro. Buy both!!!!!!!!!!!! You will have parts!

I have a 78 that has the 404 engine, lots more guts that the little 329. I run a 216 flex head and a 4 row narrow corn head. The machine with the 404 will handle a 6 row corn head, 4 row works good for me with 1/2 mile long fields.

Not many parts left around here in the bone yards for something that old.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts