The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Im going to go look at a 6600 that is for sale cheap nearby. It sold at an auction about 8 months ago because the buyer wanted the motor. He wound up not needing the motor and says the combine is too nice to scrap. I am planning on buying it and spending the next two years fixing and restoring it. My wife has ordered me that I may not try custom cutting until I finish college hence the two years thing. She has good intentions. Anyway what should I look for that would make you say no way what so ever? It's Diesel, Hydro, Shaft speed monitor, A/C, good tires, decent dent in the unload auger, no rust holes in the bin, no heads, and it is missing the drive belt for the spreader. Hes asking what he paid for it, 1,500. Its only about twenty miles away so I can drive it home. That seems to be the biggest problem around here is finding a nice older bine tha thasnt been shipped to Mexico already. Remember this is my hobby not a living and I have two years to get her field ready. Thanks for the replies in advance.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. If I were you I'd want to know if its been in corn and how many hours are on that machine?

Have you been able to start it and try it?

Also start looking to buy the operator and shop manual for it.

Might be much harder finding heads for it for that cheap!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got back from looking at it. He told me the batteries were dead before I went but that we could jump it. We jumped it and it fired right up, no smoke of any color. Engine sounds good at all RPMs. It was primarily used to cut sorgrhum and some corn. It shows 3600 or 3800 hours, cant remember. The straw spreader on the back has a seized bearing, the unload auger is bent and needs replaced(its a hydro fold too), the tires are weather checked, one tiny leak on a hose by the feederhouse, the bin has been patched in two places, the straw walkers have a couble of bent fingers. Almost all of the belts are in great shape, the main belt that runs the seperator is really new but has hardened a little from sitting. The seperator made no funny noises at all while running and there are several new bearings throughout the machine. I moved the machine around in all gears and the hydro made no funny noises and didnt creep in the nuetral position.
The two things I dont know about are when the engine is at an idle the alternator light and a yellow light on the panel come on. Rev up and they both go off. Is that normal? Its been sitting for about a year. Hes willing to take 1400 and he will give me an old cotton trailer with it. Ive always wanted an old cotton trailer, lol. My wife is gonna be thrilled about my plans when she gets home. Im pretty sure im just gonna go ahead and buy it, Ive got pleanty of time before I will have a use for it. Also my brothers friend has a grain head for it that he said he'd give us. Hopefully my wife will be as excited as I am.
Caleb

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sounds good!

You said it sat for a year or so, I'd check the sediment bowl on fuel line - the age and hours its at you might have to watch incase that fuel tank starts rusting inside. Could be a good idea to change the fuel filters and oil before you drive it home if you comfortable doing that at that guys place - will need to know how to bleed the fuel line.

The straw spreader at back your talking about, I think you mean straw chopper? You can pull it off later and fix bearing whenever, depends on how often you even plan on using a straw chopper.

The engine on low idle causing yellow light - my 4420 does the same thing, as well as our older tractors. Unless RPM is over 1300 it seems the alternator isn't putting out high enough voltage, not a big concern.

You mentioned the "batteries" were dead. Does it have two normal size batteries hooked in parallel? Ours is just one big a** battery, might be better off to put in a single big one.

Auger sounds like it will be a pain, post pics sometime lets see how bad it is

·
Registered
200 Posts
crawl under it and see what the auger pan under the cylinder looks like. these are nasty to change and expensive. if it is thin or has holes in it watch out. also check the block bearings on the straw walkers. they are not too expensive but there is a certain way to change them to keep the works in time. it probably has an old motorola alternator on it, and they don't really put out any juice until around 1200 rpm. don't worry if the ac does not work as you will need to change it to r 134 a anyhow. if it has a chopper look to see if all the hammers are on it and not broken. if they are not slip off the belt as a thrown hammer can mess up a lot on the rear sheet metal real quick. might want to see if the electric clutch for the feederhouse works too.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
$1500?! Cetainly sounds like a good deal. Let's say you spend $5000 more on it over a couple years, so what? You'd have a nice functional combine for under $10,000. In today's used machine market, I'd say you're doing good. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looks like you got a good older machine. Good Luck with it.

Oh,,, an' take it from an old married guy,,, your wife will get something she wants,,,, they always do.. LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done it now....

I took a big leap of faith and bought it! My neighbors are gonna love looking at it in my front yard but who cares! I'm going to spend the next two years rebuilding it while I finish my degree and then Im off to the races. I am a little scared because I'm totally new to combines as far as repair work and so on but I am very mechanically inclined and know how to read books and ask for advice. I will post more pictures of it once I get her home. I guess I was most happy that my wife fully supported me buying it and the plan of restoring it.
Caleb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts