The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a 1999 JD 6850, the machine is stock except for the aggressive main feed roll, we are having problems with plugging but here is the thing, it plugs before the cutter head not after where most machines do. it plugs between the two main feed rolls right before the cutter head, we have tried different speeds and all that doesn't make a difference. the transition cute and blower are set up perfect, any suggestions and help would be awesome !!
thanks

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Where exactly is it plugging? Between the feeder roll sets or right behind the rear rolls before the cutterhead? Have you checked the condition of all four rolls? Possibly a bearing issue on one of the feeder rolls? I have also had the stationary knife baseplate break an adjusting ear off also, but wasn't plugging just a really ragged cut.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is plugging right before the cutter head it seems, then it wraps around everything, the machine has low hours, checked bearings they are all good. also, would the dual spring kit help... we just run the normal spring kit,

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Drop the head and fold out your feeder faceplate. Be real sure that the rear feed rolls are in good condition. I have seen the smooth roll go to crap and invent its own list of screwy problems. Also check the stationary bar base plate. Could have a broken ear on it letting the gap between the cutterhead knives and the shearbar become well out of tolerance and could be causing a bunching issue also. Got me curious...

·
Registered
182 Posts
We have a 6950 and have had this problem in alfalfa but only if it's too wet anyway, over 70 percent moisture. This year we tried chopping sudex that we windrowed and it wrapped horribly in the feed rolls. We never did figure out a solution so if anyone has one, i'd be interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.