The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im a long time reader, first time writer so any help i can get will be appreciated. we purchased a 2003 7710 with just under 4000 hours back in the spring and have been having some issues since it arrived. The second day we had it, I started it and at idle the tractor would rev up to 1,800 then back to idle, rev back up, back to idle all on its own. It would do that several times then after a while, it would open all the way up to 2,300-2,400 and i would have to turn it off before i thought it could damage something. We called the dealer, he said to try changing filters. That seemed like a unlikely culprit due to the fact they had just changed them but i did so anyway. No luck. Called them again and went through the error codes with the tech and he determined that the fuel pump needed to be swapped out. So we got it switched out it didnt seem to help much either. We have put about 50-60 hours on the tractor since we purchased it and the problem is just as bad or worse than when we recieved it. Its seems to me that it might be a bad engine control unit? Any ideas? I have a video of how the tractor runs or lack there of but I just couldn't figure out how to post it on here but it might help diagnose the issue.
Also, in the summer when it was hot after the tractor had been running awhile, the auto quad transmission would lock me into 4th gear and wouldnt let me switch to a lower gear. So no matter which range I was in, I couldnt get it out of 4th gear. Tough to bale hay with only A4, B4, and C4. Any ideas? The next day after the tractor had sat all night, it would pop into whatever gear I wanted.
Any help would be appreciated

71 Posts
Our 97 JD 7410 had a spring broken where the throttle cable hooks to the engine, and we had to change the throttle cable. It has 4400 hrs on it. Our tractor would stay reved up when you tried to rev it back to idle, you would have to get out and move the lever on the engine. As for the gear selector not being able to move, Im not sure, havent had that problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We also have a 2000 7410 which is a great tractor. That led us to get another tractor in that series but just stronger. I think our 7710, being a later and bigger model, has a lot more electronic controls which I think is the root of both problems. Our throttle is bouncing up and down, up and down so I don't think it could be a stuck cable because it would either be at idle or open or somewhere in between and wouldn't move till you went outside the tractor to move it. Ours is just sporadic without touching the throttle. Could it be a weak spring somewhere possibly making it bounce??
Our 7410 is also a power quad like yours I believe and it has never given us trouble. Our 7710 has a auto quad. It has buttons on the range selector to select your gears within the range. It's a very nice upgrade (when it's working) bc it automatically matches your gear within the range when you change ranges. So, for example, going from c1 or 2,3,4 into b range, it will put you into b4,3,2, or 1 depending on your current speed during shifting. Also, it shifts much smoother. Just when the tractor has worked hard and gotten hot, it has stuck me into 4th gear twice during the summer. The buttons, I believe, control the stepper motor to change the gears. So that seems to me it's either the stepper motor itself or a solenoid somewhere or some other electronic control.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.