The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to do some research on ballast for my 8335R because we seem to be getting too much wheel slip. From all my research a MFWD tractor should have a 40-60 ish weight split front to rear and weigh between 130 and 145lbs per pto HP. Is this correct:confused: Anyway if its correct the 8R's come from the factory with a terrible weight split, like 48-52. I currently have a pair of 1400lb, a pair of 160lb starters, and 2 pairs of 450lbers on the rear and a full 22 suitcase weights on the front. Needless to say that doesn't get me to the weight I need and its a terrible split. In order to get it correct I need to add about 4500 more lbs to the rear and take all the suitcase weights off the front...........does this sound correct?:confused:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Nope...
The new tractors get a lot more pull out of the front then old mfwds...
The implements you pull will cause the weight shift you are looking for.

335 HP used to be used with a articulate which has better weight distribution.. And now your trying to get the same pull.

Add fluid to rear center, lower air pressure, and try again..
If no go buy a used 9400... And use your 335 for things like planting.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope...
The new tractors get a lot more pull out of the front then old mfwds...
The implements you pull will cause the weight shift you are looking for.

335 HP used to be used with a articulate which has better weight distribution.. And now your trying to get the same pull.

Add fluid to rear center, lower air pressure, and try again..
If no go buy a used 9400... And use your 335 for things like planting.
Alright let me see if I follow you. Your talking adding fluid to the rear drivers correct? I am already running 12psi and don't really want to go any lower as I don't want to risk damaging sidewalls. Am running 520/ 85R 46's on the rear, how much fluid will they take without taking away the advantage of your radial?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Deere has pages like this you can download and install on your computer to help figure out blasting requirements. Very useful as you can put in the model and configuration, weights and things like front end loaders. If you are not comfortable with the computer, your dealer has these programs also and a quick visit with them can help you decide on proper ballasting for the desired use of the tractor.

In your case, you would have to download the 8030 Calculator under the 8 family heading.

https://www.deere.com/en_US/industry/agriculture/learn_more/calculators/calculators_listing.page

As far as the factory weight split, it is not too bad as pulling from the drawbar will create weight transfer to the rear. I look at my 8970 4WD and I have to have 58% front 42% rear to achieve a 50/50 weight split under full load for it's total weight. A MFWD is a different creature, but the same principals apply.

Oh,...and the 8335R is 276 PTO HP.

·
Registered
511 Posts
50/50 is the split I aim for as once the machine is in work and pulling hard the split moves towards the rear as needed.

I have a 220 hp fendt at 12000 kg which will pull anything I want. We run out of hp long before it spins. Yours would need to be just over 18000 kg to be the same.

All comes down to soil type, terrain, tyre pressure as well as ballast and weight split.

Richard

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I have a 8360r weighed up to pull our tillage gear.
We have front linkage with a 1800kg block and place 2500kg on the rear linkage as well as a set of 4 inner rear rim weights.
One thing I noticed after adding extra front weight with water in the front tyres is that the drive shafts on the suspension are the weakest point. We have now done 3 shafts with the breaking point being closer to the hub where the knuckle is. We are now greasing all the uni's as well as the knuckle.

·
Super Moderator
5,251 Posts
Oh really?
Not sure where you get that, NTTL didn't:

http://tractortestlab.unl.edu/c/doc...4-4529-9c37-2a7ee76b1ffd&groupId=4805395&.pdf

That's the same link as previous post.

MAXIMUM POWER AND FUEL CONSUMPTION​
Rated Engine Speed—(PTO speed—1048 rpm)​
306.60 2099 16.34 0.376 18.76​
(228.63) (61.85) (0.229) (3.70)​
Standard Power Take-off Speed(1000 rpm)​
331.41 2004 17.49 0.372 18.95​
(247.13) (66.19) (0.226) (3.73)​
Maximum Power (1 hour)​
339.73 1800 17.77 0.369 19.11​
(253.34) (67.28) (0.225) (3.77)

Unless you meant drawbar, that's about right.:confused:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beat juice is pretty good and heavy..

The real question is what are you trying to do.. What are you pulling, because spinning out the tractor you have sure seems you need a bigger tractor ...
The hardest thing I pull is a disk ripper, my conditions this fall were less than ideal. Ground was pretty hard and dry, but even just pulling a disk with tire rollers I think I'm getting too much slip so I think my weight and ballast are wrong.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
As far as the factory weight split, it is not too bad as pulling from the drawbar will create weight transfer to the rear. I look at my 8970 4WD and I have to have 58% front 42% rear to achieve a 50/50 weight split under full load for it's total weight. A MFWD is a different creature, but the same principals apply.

I ran the calculator last night, but I didn't see where it tells you how much weight a implement would transfer to the rear. Pulling a disk ripper.

As far as PTO HP goes I think deere always understates their numbers. Tractordata tests came out at an actual tested PTO HP at 330hp I think. Don's post show that also, just not enough weight to stick it to the ground I think.

I have a 8360r weighed up to pull our tillage gear.
We have front linkage with a 1800kg block and place 2500kg on the rear linkage as well as a set of 4 inner rear rim weights.
One thing I noticed after adding extra front weight with water in the front tyres is that the drive shafts on the suspension are the weakest point. We have now done 3 shafts with the breaking point being closer to the hub where the knuckle is. We are now greasing all the uni's as well as the knuckle.
Going to be in contact with the dealer on Monday, I think we maybe too heavy on the front. We'll see

What tyre pressures?
12 PSI all the way around

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What speed are you trying to use to pull your implement? It takes a lot more weight to put 275 hp to the ground at 4 mph than it does at 8 mph.
Would like to pull it at 6-7 mph and in some conditions this fall it would but for the most part it wouldn't.

Right now I'm just demoing disk rippers and I need to find a 16' 870 to try. Right now I've just pulled the 15' Dominator and it pulls really hard. People tell me the 870 pulls easier but I want to run a J&M Packer behind also.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright so I've been talking with my dealer and messing with JD ballast calculator and we are having a really hard time coming up with the implement code for a 16' disk ripper. Would like to know just what percentage of weight gets transfered to the rear axle in a heavy draw bar pull.

According to the calculator we need to add some weight to the rear and take some off the front. There is room for about 900lbs more on the rear, its not quite enough but I'm hoping it will help. Just depends on what the implement tranfers, anybody have an idea on a percentage?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Those tire pressures seem high. Back in my old ag dealership days we were setting a lot lower at PDI, 4 to 6 psi range. This was on 9000 series 4wdsn we didn't sell much mfwd's. Is there a tire psi chart that shows what pressures you should be running based on the tires and ballast? Are you getting any power hop when your slipping?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No power hop, impossible to get actual with ILS. I've run as low as 8psi in the past doesn't do the sidewalls any favors.

JD calculator actually said 12 front 15 rear I think when you get up near 40,000 lbs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.