The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the 8640s on tractor house have a single lever, and I looked at a few 8440s and they had them. My boss swears he had a 8640 with the two stick like our 4430 and 4640s. I like the 2 stick and thought id look for one but cant find one. If they do exist must be rare

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I can shift between gears and ranges while going down the road, without taking my hand from the single shift lever..
If I have to change my hand grip I wouldn't be able to do that.

Go from C1-2 3-4, D 3-4 in order while the tractor is moving.. Works really well speed clutching and working the throttle...

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Again, interesting opinion. The real estate you have to cover from 4, over to C to shift it to D, then back to the 3-4 area is huge IMO. The one I drove, the A-B-C-D was really fussy too, maybe that had something to do with it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Anybodyever see or hear of a 8640 with a two stick shifter like a 8630, 4430, 4440, 4640 ect, or did they all have one shift lever like a 8650?
Not sure but if I had to guess, I'd say there gotta be some of those made with a Quad range transmission. I did find that you can buy brand new 9410 and 9460 in Germany with a Quad range "Power Sync Getribe" !?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Not sure but if I had to guess, I'd say there gotta be some of those made with a Quad range transmission. I did find that you can buy brand new 9410 and 9460 in Germany with a Quad range "Power Sync Getribe" !?
The single stick shifter we are talking about is still a Quad Range. There gotta be a good pic of it on tractor house or somewhere, but basically, The A-B-C-D shifting is a big ring on the far right with notches in it to put the stick in to move, then simply a gate to bring the stick back over to the 1-2, 3-4 area, and another gate to go on over to reverse.

And I agree, not supposed to shift ranges moving. I know 8850jd has it figured out, and that's fine, but I was borrowing the one I drove and followed the rules!

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
To my knowledge all 40 thru 50 series 4WD had the single stick shifter. Personally once one is used to the two sticks, for me that is preferred as exactly as Tbone eluded to, there is a lot less arm movement to change ranges and it can be done differently as it is possible to then shift the gear portion of the tranny while the range is in neutral to better facilitate shifting with less grinding or abuse, something that is impossible with the single stick. As for two levers being more complicated to actually use, guess that depends on ones eye/hand coordination.
A friend who was service manager years ago once said something about the reason Deere went to one stick over two was due to, and be honest now admit you've done it...being in hurry and distracted and shoving the range lever into park with the gear shift still engaged:eek: That issue is impossible with only the one stick.

The key to being able to shift the range on the fly with the Quad besides experience is using the foot throttle, an extra mostly only seen in the 4WDs. It makes all the difference;)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
And here I thought all the four wheel drives through those years had what I thought of as the typical two stick quad range as the fact is I've obviously never sat in a 40 or 50 series to realize there even was such a thing as a single gear shift style. So back in the 30 series they must have still been a two stick as I am fairly sure that was a 8430 I would have driven for a neighbor farmer ... its been a few years, that was in my teens :rolleyes:, and for sure it had the same two stick gear pattern system layout in a 16 speed quad range as our 4430.

·
Registered
261 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.