The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having an intermitant problem with the motor not turning over when I hit the key. The last time it started, I held the "trigger" on the hydro lever safety. At that time, the "warning alarm for the park brake engaged" would work properly. The next time I went to start it, the engine would not turn over and the park alarm would not beep when I moved the hydro lever. I got a new hydro lever safety switch but the engine still won't turn over. I put a test light on the activation wire for the relay close to the starter and it doesn't light when I hit the key. I have looked for corrosion at the connections at the lower right corner of the cab, the big connection near the upper radiator hose and the one on the back wall of the engine compartment and didn't see any. I have tried flipping the header, seperator, auger swing and auger engage switches with no success. I can start the combine by jumping the relay close to the starter so it seems to be more of a "safety switch" type of problem but it doesn't seem to be the one for the hydro lever, even though that seems to be the most logical one since the park alarm quit working at almost the same time.

Mechanic is pretty snowed under, would really like me to get it fixed without having to come over. I could get by with bypassing the safety switches with a starter button and a wire to the activation wire on the relay but I'd rather not do that. Harvest is probably a month away, but it would be nice to not have to jump the relay every time I need to start it in the meantime.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced that relay 3 -4 years ago. One of the last times it started I had a test light on the wire that activates that relay and when the engine started to turn over, the test light was on. Since then, I've disconnected the activation wire to clean the connection and put the test light back on but can't get the light to come on. I'm pretty sure if I put a hot jumper wire to the relay activation post, it would turn over.

·
Registered
492 Posts
We found a similar problem on our 9500 this spring. I cannot remember where it was, I'll check with the mechanic who traced it down tomorrow. Seems like it was something that had shaken loose in the cab, but he traced the wire across under the cab from a relay panel by the unloading auger and the wire was good going into the right side of the cab. so he went on inside from there and found?????

Maybe a connection to the ignition/start switch? I'll check tomorrow. In any case, it might be a good starting point to make sure the switch is actually doing what it's supposed to do still.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Long story short. Fooled around with it yesterday morning and then couldn't get it to fire up by jumping the relay, no power to the electric fuel pump . Mechanic came out this morning, checked the ignition switch - good, was checking the circuit - relay breaker area when I mentioned that several years ago, I had disconnected the connector on the back of the engine compartment (near the hyd. oil tank) and forgot to hook it back up and the engine wouldn't turn over. He checked the connector, found corrosion, installed new contacts in the plugs. Fuel pump runs, engine starts with key. Had to use the new hydro safety switch and the "Warning Alarm Park Brake Engaged" still doesn't work, so I'm not sure what order that my problems occurred, but at least it starts with the key.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts