The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a dealer the other day and saw a 2001 9450 sitting there for a very very good price. My mom was with me and she has been wanting for me to buy a smaller combine so she could run it. I will be having a lot of smaller fields next year for custom harvest that it will probably be a good fit for. Does anyone know much about this set up?
It shouldn't have a problem running a 20' platform and a 6 row header should it?

This would be a addition for me, since it sounds like I will not be able to get into the 70 series for a while

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: JD 9450

It seems like that wouldn't make much sense, unless you are talking like $60k, that is a very small machine to be doing custom work with, if she can drive that she should be able to drive a 9660 or whatever, or is she nervous about the header? I'm am just wondering about the resale on something like that.. And why is it a good deal, does it need alot of work? You can get a decent 9650 sts for 90k and your resale isn;t going to drop much for quite a while...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Its not that easy of a cut, there is some background information about this possible purchase-just your PM

·
Registered
590 Posts

To answer your basic question, a 9450 would handle the 6 row and 20 foot head just fine. It is the same machine as a 9410/9400 but with the 50 series cosmetic and electrical updates.

You did not give any information relative to price and hours, and if it needs a rebuild. If it has around 1400-1500 sep. hours and has not been rebuilt, it may not be that good of a price.

·
Registered
530 Posts

I used to run 24ft heads on my 7720 back in the days, which were less horsepower and less cleaning but same width seperator. A 9450 would eat up 25ft and 6 rows no problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the information. It has 1371 seperator hours on it, and it was rebuilt last summer.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Hittman,

If you are serious about this machine, we now know enough to be dangerous. A few questions:

Was it rebuilt and then sat on the lot, or did it go through fall harvest and then the to the lot(is it a Deere dealer or other color)? Which means it could have ran another couple hundred hours and more stuff could need replacing.

What did they replace on the rebuild? Some things to look at for sure, shaker bushings bearings, walker blocks. The idler pulley bearing on the back side of the engine that turns the radiator screen, check to make sure it is solid (if they did not change that from the 10 series). That can be headache on any maximizer.

If the price is really good and they did a complete rebuild, just make sure there is not some additional things that need replacing now. It could still have several thousand dollars of work needed. Have someone who has maximizer experience look it over if you don't. My disclaimer. Not to scare you, but this hour machine is in the range where a lot of stuff needs replacing or at least checked.

As far as header size, we run a 925F on our 9410, but very seldom cut 40 bushel beans. If you are cutting 40 plus most of the time and some green stems, you might be quite satisfied with the 20 foot. Also, you mentioned cutting small fields (assuming 10-50 acre patches, going through gates etc) and probably roading a lot, then your on the right track with a 20. I would not try to talk you into anything bigger. You will make up in ground speed what you lose in header width.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for all the information guys. This machine is something that I'm not familar with at all. I came into information about the combines in about 2003. Before that dad, grandpa and the uncle just took care of everything. I just ran them.
Once again thanks for all the great information. I'm going to be getting some more information about this machine Wed. I'm going to go out and run the machine for a while at its current location and do my own complete walk through. It is located at a Deere Dealer (I will not buy anything from anyone except a JD dealer). However, it is not located at my dealer that I do most of business with, I called my dealer today and they are willing to send a tech out to look at the machine Wednesday with me.

The machine was ran in wheat after it was rebuilt, but has been sitting inside the machine shead at the delear. That is another question I'm going to be asking WHY!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Also, can anyone tell me why they no longer make these (94 series) was there just not a demand for them?

·
Registered
508 Posts

9450 is just like a 9410. If your doing alot of soybeans or wheat that you won't be taking alot of straw in, consider a 25ft. It'll handle it well in beans and ok in wheat if your not taking alot of straw through. Kinda light on the rear end but some weights will take care of that.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
72 Posts

You didn't say how heavy your beans will be. I have a good neighbor that has a 9450 and he says it is a little overloaded with a 20' table. We have 60-70bu beans that usually never get brown by the time we cut them, and that little motor just doesn't have the oomph for real production. I rode in it with a 6 row head going slow, 4mph and it seemed ok in 190 bu. corn, but my old 6620 would do better than that. A 94 anything will not replace a 7720. Just not enough cubic centimeters.

Check the balancer, if it is shot you might consider leaving that one alone, it may have already done it's damage to your motor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks Green. The more and more I hear about this stuff it makes me not want to get one. I'm going to go and do my investigating on the machine Weds, along with a tech from the dealer I do business with. Our beans usually run at about 65 and corn at 210 (anywhere from 190-220)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks for the answer. That was what I thought. I will let everyone know what I find out on Wednesday.

·
Registered
566 Posts

If you want a smaller machine why not get a 9550 instead that would surely handle a 6 row and a 20 foot platform nicely

·
Registered
590 Posts

...or a 9510 in the same hour range, probably same price range if that is a factor for you. Now that more has been revealed, unless the 9450 is a real "steal", based on the yields you will be cutting, I would second Dereman and look at 95xxs. The only other factor you have not quantified is the number of acres you will be cutting. If you have the luxury of harvest time based on your acreage, the 9450 will get the job done, but something tells me you might have more ambition than that. Explore and learn, you have all winter, a lot of machines will be coming in on trades. Enjoy the hunt. Looking forward to your report Wednesday.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks for the information. Tractor-Right now I have a 9660 STS and a 9760. These two machines are usually out in our bigger fields, and also out doing custom work. This machine that I'm wanting to buy would be for the smaller fields that I custom harvest. (between 15-50 ac). I also have a certain family memeber (my mom) pushing for me to get a smaller set-up so that she can run it. I'm really thinking about just changing my mind and try to find a good used 9560 with a low amount of hours on it and throw a 20' and a 6 row on that. Like you said I have all winter to make this decesion, which is true. A lot of my decision is going to be based on the cost of fuel and also how much more (or less) land I will be custom harvesting in our area.

As time goes, its usually always a push to get stuff done, considering that I'm still in College and that puts us one man down. However, this will be the last planting and next fall will be the last harvest that I will not be home all the time, just not on Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun

I was talking this over with me dad and uncle last night and they are kind of split on this issue also. They understand what I'm trying to do, but they are afraid that may be to small of a machine for us. I'm going to have to have their backing since it has to be "voted" on if we can buy the machine or not, were a corporation.

I will let everyone know on Weds.

·
Registered
321 Posts

You kinda got me scratching my head on this....... you never did even mention an asking price for the 9450, then you just jump to talking about a 9560, knock knock, hello? 9510?9550? heck with the change your gonna dump on a 9560 you might as well find a 96xx rig.

The other thing is why do you only deal with a jd dealer only? Your kinda limiting your buying leverage by just running to the dealer and paying their markup........ All of my combines have been bought straight off the farm, dealers here always have junk or think decent stuff is worth its weight in gold.

jd

1 - 20 of 26 Posts