The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We swat our barley with an 18 foot cut header and have had hundred bushel barley and 55 bales per acre of straw and we cannot get the combine to catch all the grain. We are putting about 5 bushels per acre out the back and it seems to be riding out on the chaff. We have tried running the combine full to the point of bogging the engine to not working it hard. We have tried opening the pre cleaner some to get the chaff up and moving sooner and we have tried all kinds of different air settings. We are at a loss for how to make this thing more efficient. I know we are pushing a lot of straw through it but we had a JD 6600 that would go like 2.4 miles per hour in the same type fields and not loose a kernel. I need some advice

Thank you

·
Registered
347 Posts
Are you overthrashing it? I have never combined Barley in that kind of conditions,but with the 9600 I had, it would throw it over the walkers, not the shoe. Open your chaffer right up, and give her more wind, see if that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are running the cylinder on the slowest setting and the concave on the largest setting....the grain is off the straw and comming out the bottom not over the walkers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are you runing to much air (fan speed)? If not try opening top seive to get the barley to fall thru instead of going out the back you may want to open your bottom seive also if you get to much in the return,then you may have to increase the wind if you get to much chaff in your clean grain.Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to the JD dealer in Jamestown ND today and he told me to throw away the book for big barley...he said to start by running the cylinder at 800, fan at 1000. Close precleaner tight and take the plastic fingers off the rear end of the precleaner. He said to open the chaffer wide open and put the cive at 3/8 inch......after trying it in my conditions...was going 4.6 mph in about 75 bushel grain and less than 1/8 bushel on the ground....we do have some swather loss so I am happy with this...we had some dirty grain in tank so I closed cive to allmost shut or like 1/4 inch...I also increased the fan speed to about 1100....I also tightened up the concave a little bit to about 1.5 so that the grain was seperated more near the bottom of the concave and not thrown so far out onto the precleaner. Tomorrow we turn it loose to see what happens

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah, my thoughts too wade4545. We couldn't push our 9500 too hard either no matter what set up. You could push it through faster then we went but it would all be out the back. We were CRAWLING in 100 bu. barley i'll tell ya!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts