The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 JD 9500 and it wont start. I have plenty of battery. I thought at first I had the machine or header switch on, but that was not it. I then discovered I had the swing auger switch not in the middle position. Even when I put that back to the middle,it still wont start? Any ideas?

the unload auger switch does not feel right when I turn it on and off. Do these go bad,or is there any ajustment?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a somewhat similar problem (before harvest) with my 9400 last year. Mine had a pin corroded in the connection on the back wall on the engine compartment (between the hyd reservior and the ladder, my understanding is a 9400 is a little different than a 9500 in this area).

I would take connections loose and check for corrosion, maybe spray some contact cleaner in them and see if it makes a difference. On mine, the engine would not turn over, mechanic replaced one of the pins and corresponding female connection and all was good until the next-to-last day of harvest. Then, the combine died as I pulled up to unload and would not turn over(also electric fuel pump was not running).

Dis-connected and re-connected and combine started and ran, but then wouldn't turn over again after unloading the wagons, sprayed connection with some WD-40 (all I had at the time) and havn't had a problem since.

Some of the advice I received last year included unscrewing the knob on the unload auger switch just a little, the mechanic also tried this when he got here last year but that didn't fix mine. (I guess the plunger may need to go in a little farther, unscrewing the knob lets it do this.)

If you have a helper, you can remove the back panel on the grain tank to access the starter area. There is a small relay with a wire that comes from the battery on one post and a wire going to the starter solenoid on the other post. There is a small wire that should be hot (only) when you turn the key to the "start" position.

If a test light shows the "activation wire" is hot when you hit the key, then both of the "posts" on that relay should be hot also. I had to replace that relay a few years ago when I had a starting problem.

Good luck.

Edit: I brought my 9400 post back to the top, it may explain the last part of this post a little better.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I assume that the engine won't crank over? If the unload auger switch doesn't feel right, then that's the first place I'd be poking my multimeter.

Some more info would be handy - does the fuel lift pump run when you have the key on? Will the engine run if you start it by shorting the terminals on the starter motor? Just remember why those safety switch checks are there before you try this!

Here's a link to a similar post I replied to - might be useful to you.
http://combineforums.proboards.com/index....ay&thread=23635

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check your battery cables. You have to peel back the insulation from the battery connections. The wire will be corroded under the insulation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My engine control unit (ECU) went bad on my 9600. Once it was replaced all was good. Cost of the ECU strung a bit, but what are ya gonna do.

·
Registered
149 Posts
when i first got my 9500 one night it wouldnt start so i could put it in the shed (like to let it cool off berfore i put it away) so i reached around behind the engine and shorted across the starter and got it going,(very dangeous and not recomended) next morning went out and noticed the auger swing switch was in the in position, put it in the middle and it started, that 466 sounds twice as big when your laying on top of it in the dark with a flashlight and a bent screwdriver!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts