The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We dont know what to do we can buy them for the same price we will be running a 30 ft platform and an 8 row corn head.
Not trying to start a color war!

Thanks in advance,
Eric

G

·
i think you guys may find less of a learning curve with the 5088, as it would be very similar to what your running right now. I guess it would come down to which dealer is better at providing service. I know which way i would go given the dealers in our town. Case, But thats just our town and my experience with the dealerships.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know about the JD but after running a 7088 with the same heads I would'nt think of less HP combine any color.
Regards Rick

·
Registered
245 Posts
We run a 30 foot draper (2062), and an 8 row drago on our 2577. You can drive 5.5 with an 8 row head in corn around 18% moisture. The power is not an issue at all. We could go 6 or more, but we don't want corn in the fan. We do have the sprocket on the slow side, and maybe we should change it, but 5.5 is pretty fast. Your clean grain will be the bottle neck in corn, not power. We grow some very tall soybeans. They are usually in the 60 bu./acre range. In moisture under 15%, but no green stems, we can run about 4.8 mph. In smaller, 40 bu./acre soybeans we can go as fast as we want. We bought a ts performance chip for our combine, but only turn it up in bad conditions. Our draper probably gains us some capacity in soybeans, but I have seen many 2377 combines handle 30 foot 1020's with no problems.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I could see that being a problem farmerjones, especially if you have long hills. Our hill ground has so many terraces on it that we have to plan out where to unload so that we don't have an auger broken off in the grain cart. In these bad situations we are usually going slow so we don't run out of power. The mud on big slopes is a problem sometimes even when you aren't cutting anything. We do have a power chip which does help if you needed it. We just haven't ever needed it for corn in our neck of the woods.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes casefarmer we dont have many of those conditions and if we do we will just slow down.... our biggest hills are pure sand... no getting stuck there!

Thanks for all the input!

Eric

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well, 2366man, last winter, Jan or Feb, when you asked this same question on this forum, I shot my mouth off and said you should buy the 5088, because you were getting a 2388 size machine with early 2388 hp. However, after reading posts on here all year and thinking about it, the 9570 has the same HP as a 5088, but with a smaller diameter rotor. Which, physics would say, when the going gets tough, the smaller rotor with high horsepower would pull on through and be kind of a hotrod.

So, since you are even asking, I will now say I would buy the 9570. You seem to be getting along just fine with your small rotor 2366. Just think if it had 260 HP. IF you are set on red, go to a 6088.

·
Registered
998 Posts
As someone said, lesser learning curve coming from a 2366 to a 5088. Also re-sale value (not sure about where you are but in oz the reds ones retain longer then the green). Ease of maintenance I believe is far better on the 5088 compared to the Deere. The axial flows are a tried, tested and proven design. Easy decision for me, but may be a hard one for you and your family. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would go with the 5088, where are you trading yours in @. I guess you got the grain finished has the tobacco strippig going.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If we get a CIH we will trade it at collage corner implement, It is going good just getting started though.

Eric

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
i suggest the 5088 as my father has been greatly satisfied running a 2020 30 foot head and 3406 corn head he just came out of a 2004 2366 with a 25' table and 1063 corn head and wasnt pleased with the last of the 2366 machines when he traded in

his crops are 60-80 bpa soybeans 175-250 bpa corn and 80-100 bpa soft red winter wheat

·
Registered
245 Posts
The 30" case IH rotor might take more power when it is full packed with material than the John Deere 24" rotor when it is packed full of material, but I think that is an unfair comparison. The 24" rotor will pack full quicker than the 30" rotor. A 24" rotor that is packed full should take more power than a bigger rotor that has the same amount of material because it shouldn't be packed tight. Rotors take a bunch of horsepower once you have packed the rotor beyond its capacity. The bigger rotor also has more concave area so it should be more tunable. The only disadvantage I could even see with the bigger rotor would be that fact that it would take more material to make it full. If you run too little material in the rotor it will increase damage.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I don't think they have to worry about keeping the rotor full with an eight row corn head and thirty-foot platform...

You know my thoughts on the matter, Eric. Everyone keeps suggesting a bigger machine, but the question there is whether or not you can get that much more grain out of the field efficiently.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Go with the 5088, more threshing, separating and cleaning capacity than a 9570 with similar hp. Should make a difference in wheat and corn

·
Registered
19 Posts
several 9570 machines around me and they seem to have no problem with 8x30" corn head in 230 bu corn. Larger cleaning area is not necessary for that.

I wonder about future resale of these smaller framed machines (red and green both). everyone seems to be gravitating to the larger ones for increased grain tank capacity.

I would say both these machines in question would be so similar in performance that you would have to look for another catagory to base your decision on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts