The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 1996 9600 rasp, 2800 sep hrs, overmaintained. Needing to change bars and concave and wondering at that point in pulling off the cyl drive and changing cylinder and beater bearings.

Anyone change these at a particular interval, fix as fail, or never any trouble. On the 20's we had usually done this by now.

Also, it seems like my beater would have been worn out by now but still seems solid. Any way to guage the life on it?

Thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
I work on a lot of 9600's and never seen a cylinder or beater bearing go out in the field. I've replaced many beaters and cylinders in the past few years for upgrade reasons and when I have the bearings in my hand I make the decision to replace them or not. Never had one that turned rough but sometimes they seem a bit loose. I would be more concerned about them being tight in the flanges or casting. The RH cylinder bearing is more often loose in the casting but that casting isn't cheap.

As far as your beater, the main wear point is the outer edge of the wings so if that's fine then just check that all the bolts are tight because they like to work themselves loose occasionally. Also give it a spin when the belts are off to check balance. If it's unbalanced then likely there's some dust inside. Pull a wing off and vaccum it out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If they haven't been changed it's time, none of those bearings are an easy field fix and nearign 3k sep. hrs. I would be giving them some attention.

Like greentech said, make sure the cast housings for the cylinder bearings aren't wallered out and still deliver grease into the bearing when you lube them, same goes for the the flanges on the beater bearings.

Like the first post said, the wings wear on the very outer tip of the blades where it overlaps the next blade. Seeing you're from LA, I am assuming alot of rice and beans have been thru the rig so I wouldn't be suprised if some attention is needed.

jd

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only one season with a stripper header in limited acreage rice. Rest has been milo, corm, beans. The housings thru JD are 170 each, but they do take grease. Also, the cyl drive seems to be easy to remove other than heavy and will put a new seal. Probably easier to take out the grate and change the wings from the front while there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts