The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Been thinking about your problems.
Here is what I would do.
Go through that return line disconnect that line at the bottom of the tank and have a look at those bottom fittings for obstructions.
Inspect that line make sure rubber isn't skived at both ends of that return line or the line hasn't got pinched.
Blow air though that line from the top down into a clean white pail see if anything comes out.
Blow through the fuel supply line too the same way from the top down into white pail the purpose is we are looking for rubber deterioration or crud and do the same with all the lines from the injection pump supply fitting back to the tank.
Then lets go through that fuel transfer pump on the injection pump and inspect it either a new kit or new one.
Put everything back together the way it should be with the fuel stop plunger in and the check valve in the filter head bleed it get it up and running and then try it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I changed the lift pump by the fuel tank, I have not seen the valve on the return line near the tank? I will have to look at that. It would make sense I can hear the fuel going back to the tank when I'm using the hand primer but maybe more fuel supply causes the pressure build up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, just went out there and had a look. I removed the fuel return line where it comes off of the injectors and blew through it and there were no obstructions. The line was old and hard so I bought a new one this morning and installed it but surprisingly the new hose was more restrictive to blow through than the old one. I think because the old one may have expanded from the fuel before it got hard. I almost couldn't believe that after all this I had never removed the return fuel line to check for flow, etc.

I do not have a valve assembly for the return line on the top of my tank, instead I have an elbow with no valve. It appears to be original as both the hose and the elbow have green over-spray paint on them. I removed the valve and thoroughly checked it and it is clean and clear. Since I was up there I removed the tank vent assembly and cleaned it again, but it was already pretty clean.

While I had the return line off I pumped the hand pump a few times and it took a few pumps to get the fuel to flow out the return. It appeared as if there was some air in the injector pump that needed a few pumps to remove. I will reinstall the fuel pump shutoff solenoid plunger and also reinstall the check valve on the filter body when I get a chance. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh and I also like the idea of replacing and or installing a kit in the fuel transfer pump.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I suspect whatever was blocking the return is now gone because the filter stopped leaking.
The reason I would like you to repair the filter housing check valve and fuel stop plunger is with them missing it might have something to do with letting fuel drain back to the tank.
Causing that little bit of air.
Also any leaks from the compression fittings on the injector return lines will also let air in.
Sometimes they may not even leak fuel but will let air in.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
9B612F4A-CD78-4D8F-B7AC-6A5950C1EE86.jpeg
These rubber compression seals #5 on the lines anywhere in the system are great for causing air leaks and fuel to drain back.
They must be in tip top perfect condition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got the new seals and I am going to reinstall the new filter body I bought last year as it has the new check valve in it. I also purchased the fuel transfer pump seals, valve plungers and springs. I will get them installed shortly.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If your blowing fuel past your filter , it ain’t your lift pump doing that , they are non-positive displacement... basically a spinning rotor that freewheels and pushs diesel up to injector pump ..

Princess auto even sells the “genuine Deere replacement “

Take your pump off and have it serviced/rebuilt , Or replaced .. they come off easy , just make sure u lock the engine on #1 Tdc , there’s a special pin u need on flywheel house , as your new pump will come set on #1..

U might end up changing up to a Bosch pump - if your 9600 is a late model H076 high horse block , I’d do it

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If your blowing fuel past your filter , it ain’t your lift pump doing that , they are non-positive displacement... basically a spinning rotor that freewheels and pushs diesel up to injector pump ..

Princess auto even sells the “genuine Deere replacement “

Take your pump off and have it serviced/rebuilt , Or replaced .. they come off easy , just make sure u lock the engine on #1 Tdc , there’s a special pin u need on flywheel house , as your new pump will come set on #1..

U might end up changing up to a Bosch pump - if your 9600 is a late model H076 high horse block , I’d do it
Oh? News to me.
Where are these spinning rotors?
A2F5F57F-5606-4D76-809C-60DBFF0D2B0A.jpeg

·
Registered
406 Posts
The lift pump is below the fuel tank by sediment bowl/ lower filter , as I’m sure u already know .. not causing the problem ,

What u have there is a picture of the hand primer, great job... not causing the problem

Nothing of what we are talking about has a chance of fixing his problem ,

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Soooooo...in MF's pic, item number one is the actual hand primer complete, so then just exactly wtf is the rest of it then if it isn't the lift pump?

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
The lift pump is below the fuel tank by sediment bowl/ lower filter , as I’m sure u already know .. not causing the problem ,

What u have there is a picture of the hand primer, great job... not causing the problem

Nothing of what we are talking about has a chance of fixing his problem ,
I have a feeling this guy has not actually worked on many 9600s?? Maybe none? Keep listening to the cowboy. That would be my advice for now.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Those combines have a electric lift pump that pushes fuel up too the hand priner ..

You got a picture of that in your. Book MF ??

21 - 40 of 53 Posts