The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were looking at a JD CTS and 9600. The dealer wants to sell us a NH TR96 for dirt cheap almost to good to pass up. What is the big differences between Deere's 9600 and CTS and a NH TR96?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had 2 demos with cts combines and have been disapointed in their ability to save peas and some wheat. I have had a Tr 96 for 9 years and after 1800 hrs put on my first belt as well as very little maintainance. The tr 96 saved better in all conditions for us and is a very simple combine. I would prefer one with the ford engine as opposed to the cat 3208. Also the rock trap system can be critical. An electronic system combined with the drumroll kicker is the best. I believe the cts is good insaving barley, but for the money and difference in mantaining the combines I would sill go with the tr. I have also owned a 9500 for 5 years and worked together with 9650's, and sts's. I grew up john deeres since the 60's and farmed with them since the mid 70's. I find the deere although somewhat reliable and consistant have consistantly thrown over grain when pushed, even the new ones. Have fun making a decision. If I was to go back to a tr, other than checking the chain drive that runs the rotors, every year or so I dont see much downside. capacity 9600 vs tr96 in barley I would put the tr at about 1.8 times in barley, 1.2 to 1.5 in wheat and 1.2 in canola. under tough conditions they will be closer together.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would go with the 9600. We have sold a few TR96's and they are really cheap built. But it also depends on the price of the 96, if it is low enough and is in good shape then I would go with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How is a TR96 cheap built? They are a far simpler combine than a 9600. They started building them when Deere was still building 7720 and 8820 combines.
In corn and soybeans the TR96 and the 9600 will be pretty even in capacity. The TR's will thresh more material faster than the separator can take it so proper setting and operation is important. The 9600 will slug the cylinder before outreaching seperator capacity. In the end both will run about the same amount of crop thru at around the same ground speed.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I've had a little bit of experience with the New Holland TR's. Just because they are not in the top 3 combine makes, does not make them inferior in any way, to their peers. In fact, just looking at some of the structures of the 6 Series TR's, they are heavier than even some of the other leading combines.

Jhent is correct about their capacity. The dual rotor system has obviously made tremendous use of the combine's overall dimensions, which are smaller than most. Yes, the TR 96-99 can more than keep up with any Deere 9600/9610 or their like-sized 50 and 60 Series conventionals.

I had always considered the John Deere 9600 to be one big combine. Realistically, one can put away 200 acres of wheat in a full day. That is a lot of harvesting and very impressive. However, the New Holand TR 96 can cut faster, thresh, separate and clean still all FASTER than the Maximizers, without suffering appreciable kernel loss. Now, I don't know if the TR 96 can literally work 300 acres in the same time it takes the big Maximizer to do its 200 acres, but I'd sure be willing to lay a wager for every bit of 160-170 acres. A friend who has a TR 98 swears he can do 300 acres/day but I have yet to see that and measure relative losses.

Still, New Hollands are great combines and they are still just getting better as are all combines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts