The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about switching from a JD 9650 to a 7010.

We have only ever had walkers so I would be a little lost on the setting of a rotary, is setting a rotary difficult or will this be an issue.

I have been reading a lot about them but I have zero hands on experience.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Setting a rotatory is very simple. You will be amazed how much better they are than a walker machine. I grew up with all walker machines, starting with the jd 7700 to the jd 9610. After that we went to a 2388. What a amazing difference!!! It was like night and day. To be fair, we also ran a 9660sts john deere last year. John Deere still has a lot of work to do to catch up with the 2388 and 10 series case. Plain and simple, the 2388 is very simple to work on and set. You will get a clean sample and be able to run in certain situations that your walker struggled in. This year we demoed a 7010. It blows anything I have ever ran completely out of the water! We ordered one so I hope everything works out. We will see.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Kansacutter, how much more production could we expect over the 9650 I was hoping for 30-40%.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I feel that you will for sure gain 30%. Depending on what type of head you run you could get the 40% possibly. Our wheat was very poor last year due to the late freeze, but we cut 30 bushel wheat with a 36ft draper at 6.3 mph. It wasn't even close to being at capacity. The rotor monitor didn't even show that there was any product in it. I could have went faster if I could have cut it off at a higher speed. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't go any bigger than a 30' but we get a fairly heavy crop here. The wheat this year avged 75 bpa so 30' should be okay. Does Case make a good draper or what make work's the best for this machine?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes, Case makes drapers. Technically it is a Mac-don made for case. It is a very good head. We have a 2162 Flex draper. It just came in this week. The flex models come in 30, 35, 40 foot models. We also went with a 30 ft head. I wanted a 36ft but we have flood irrigation and there is to many places we couldn't get it turned around on the end of the beds. The 2162 has a built in transport system. It is a very slick design. You can pull it with a pick-up or the combine. The carriage wheels serve as gauge wheels when you are cutting. You can get the specs for the drapers on the case ih website.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input Boog, maybe with the 30' the clearance issue wouldn't be as bad being shorter, have to look one over I guess.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The new model 2162 has addressed the bunching problem and the new transport system had been redesigned from the 2007 models. They are easier to change back and forth and they have larger tires which takes care of the clearance issue. The 30ft does sag somewhat in the middle, the 35 is probably more, but I am sure I have at least 2 feet of clearance at the lowest point in the middle. It should be more than enough to clear most ditches or obstacles. If I remember, the next time I go over to the other shed I will measure the clearance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My neighbor has a draper head and from what I heard from other people, you can probably go one size bigger with a draper than you would run with an auger header. The feeding is even and the crops go in heads first. They are more money, but might be worth it. hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
4,006 Posts
Quote:What I don't like is the center sits so low to the ground. I know we have some field entrances& railroad crossings that IMO it would hang up on. If we do trade for one we'll go with a seperate transport trailer.FWIW
It's possible when the header was detached, the float was not locked out which makes it much closer to the ground. No problem or harm doing this other ground clearance but it is recommended to lock out float before detaching.

Don

G

·
Quote:My neighbor has a draper head and from what I heard from other people, you can probably go one size bigger with a draper than you would run with an auger header. The feeding is even and the crops go in heads first. They are more money, but might be worth it. hope this helps.

Benny,

in our county the draper headers are worth the extra dollars. We had a 25 foot auger type and as soon as the sun went down, it was tough, feeding was uneven, and it made for a miserable time. With the new combine we got a 25 foot draper, and that isn't a problem, even when running late. Our header is a 5100 series (I think) to fit our 9790 Massey, And I know this is a case thread, but the results are the same around the district.

farmerleach

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for all your info, having a built in transport is a great idea + being a Macdon sounds like a winner.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you harvest a heavy wheat crop my advice to you is to read all the old posts on this site about the older 2062 header, they tend to "boil" the crop in front of the narrow center auger. The new model 2162 has a wider center belt that feeds better in heavy crops.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:Thanks again for all your info, having a built in transport is a great idea + being a Macdon sounds like a winner.

We would also like to got a draper head. Our CIH dealer was suppose to bring one down for us to demo last fall but by the time they got around to bringing it down we were finished with beans.

From what I have looked at them I am skepitcal about the built in transport. Dealer has on settup like that on his lot, I think it's a 35'. What I don't like is the center sits so low to the ground. I know we have some field entrances& railroad crossings that IMO it would hang up on. If we do trade for one we'll go with a seperate transport trailer.

FWIW

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would definately stick with the draper, never had a auger header and I won't start now.

·
Super Moderator
4,006 Posts
Quote:I would definately stick with the draper, never had a auger header and I won't start now.
I can almost say that. When the 60 series came out the dealer brought a demo unit out with a 30' flex. Happened to be at night short/tough/rolling ground barley. That 1/2 hour was all the auger header experience I required. Made my 9750/MacDon picnic city.

Don

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Quote:I would definately stick with the draper, never had a auger header and I won't start now.
I can almost say that. When the 60 series came out the dealer brought a demo unit out with a 30' flex. Happened to be at night short/tough/rolling ground barley. That 1/2 hour was all the auger header experience I required. Made my 9750/MacDon picnic city.

Don

Don,

Have you ever ran a 7010 or 8010 if so just curious on your thought's. They are going to bring one out this fall but until then curiosity has the best of me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts