The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing this machine with 1200 to 1600 Separator hours. Any words of advice? What crop is the least stressful on these machines, Wheat? Corn? Soybeans? What are the key maintenance issues? Thanks.

·
Registered
778 Posts
At those hours you should have an experienced tech look the machine over. Although a 70 is well-built, there can be possible issues with most moving components, same as any combine. They will have far less issues with metal fatigue than a 50 or 60 series in such areas as the feeder house, grain tank supports, and cleaning shoe but you should still look at these areas. Also check the front rotor bearing, unload auger vertical drive gearcase, and primary countershaft/gearcase/header drive clutch. The rest would just be checking bearings, bushings, and wear checks on augers and wear plates.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Greentech, how often do you see front rotor bearings fail? Average life span? Is the 400 hour interval under-greasing them? How many pumps of grease do you give at the 400 interval? Mine failed this year at only 400 hours on my S670 (thankfully repaired in just a few hours). I found that to be unusually low hours. Do they not last the life of the machine normally?
I think the rotor bearing should be on a 50 hr interval and the tech that does my inspections recommended a few shots every day! Helped the neighbors take one out of a 9770 1200 hrs only it had to be cut out! not much fun!!! 400 hrs hope some kind of warranty !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.