The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with pro drive? We farm flat land and ordered a 09 9870 w/o . All our combining is done in 2nd gear. Any info,pros/cons,etc.would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Re: JD 9870 PRO DRIVE?

Its a $20,000 add on, our dealer was pushing it when we bough 09 combines but we said no thanks. Not worth it unless your climbing mountains.

·
Super Moderator
3,467 Posts

Got news for you.
Your getting Pro Drive.
It's standard on 09 9870's.
Perhaps you should get your dealer to learn his product a little more. Or bullshit you less.
Unless you changed to 9770's.
In which case it's not available at all.

Don

·
Registered
32 Posts

only standard on corn based machines, If you order a small grain machine you can opt out

·
Super Moderator
3,467 Posts

Disagree.
9870 STS Small Grain Combine (Model Year 2009)
2-Speed ProDrive Transmission with
1400cc Hydro, push button shift,
Park Brake and Differential Lock
Integrated HarvestSmart Feedrate
Control System

Can't seem to link that directly Robert but you can see the whole thing by starting here:
http://configurator.deere.com/servlet/co....e&gm tOffset=-7
and work your way down to product feature.
If there is an opt out it certainly is not described in build your own.
By the way this looks like a great idea to me, increased torque, stable speed on hills, no gears to shift, full handle range indexed by max speed setting.
There is no way I would not get it.
Because in 5 years all Deere's will be this way. And I know how Deere guys like talking resale value.

Don

·
Registered
275 Posts

Under "customize product" you are able to delete Prodrive and Harvest Smart for a savings of $9740 US. At least you can on a small grain machine.

·
Super Moderator
3,467 Posts

I see you are correct, I stand corrected and apologize to those I unintentionally offended.
So with that information let's compare.
A deduction of 9,740.
If you add harvestsmart to a 9770 it adds 7,703.
So Pro Drive only adds about 2 grand but some of the components overlap so hard to say.
But 1 thing is certain jdmanitoba, the very most real money difference by deducting it should not exceed 10,000 Canadian.
As I said if it was mine I'd be spending it.

Don

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Prodrive and Harvest Smart are included in the base price of a 9870. Dealers prefer not to take anything out of the base but some dealers in Alberta are bringing 9870s w/o P and H/S. Prodrive is designed to make Harvest Smart work better. Till it works better in all crops, it seems like an expensive and uneccessary option.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts

Well I wouldn't mind if our 2009s have Prodrive standard but the dealer quoted Prodrive (which includes harvestsmart) at around 20,000 maybe 15,000. We said no thanks, I remember reading how terrible harvestsmart attempt 1 was so I'm not going to be the first year guinea pig. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
578 Posts

thanks for the info----sounds like something i could have used yesterday. 2nd was to slow and 3rd was to fast

·
Registered
129 Posts

I have to agree with Don on this one. I demoed Pro Drive this year, and said finally Deere has an easy to shift tranny. It worked very well on my fairly mild hills. This is an option I would pay a little more for. Harvest Smart on the other hand is (in my opinion), next to useless. I've played with it quite a bit over the last couple of years with very limited results.

·
Super Moderator
3,467 Posts

I hear Trochu is getting they're 9870's with ProDrive.
Or did you know that already Larry?

Don

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

Well i just read about harvestmart and im not sure if im impressed...i guess id save the money and invest into something id really need..

extended wear package or something that would help me out....

·
Registered
998 Posts

I can't wipe the grin off my face after watching the pro drive video. Great idea though I like it. Now back to drawing board to get a few other 'real productivity' issues worked out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts