The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have an old John Deere AR and the decal that says "ar" it's not like what we've seen in picture we just need to know what the decal should look like

·
Registered
973 Posts
Actually see that alot. I mean decals being slightly off on antique tractors.
Think alot of fleet/farm stores used to sell n carry kind of a generic decal sets and guys would
Brush paint or quick spray over n slap em on. Wasnt really an issue at the time.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Actually see that alot. I mean decals being slightly off on antique tractors.
Think alot of fleet/farm stores used to sell n carry kind of a generic decal sets and guys would
Brush paint or quick spray over n slap em on. Wasnt really an issue at the time.
Agreed improper decals stand out like a sore thumb to those who know what they should look like, and really can take away from a tractor that would be otherwise a sharp looking unit.
That was why I was so pissed at Deere when I repainted my 830 years back and spent the bucks to get the kit from Deere, was close to a hundred and this is over twenty years ago, and was beyond disappointed. They weren't all the proper style or like the originals, seemed like a cheap knock off really, and for example the "diesel" decals were the italicized style for the 20 series and earlier. We did end up using them but it annoys me every time I look at it. Also instead of individual letters and numbers, there is a clear vinyl layer with the characters printed on the back side and its all one decal, and now that clear film is lifting between the characters, dust is getting behind it and looks crappy.
Anything like that again will be sourced thru a sign shop and custom done, amazing what some of those people can do these days.

The paint for mine come from Deere as well, the vintage green something the other they called it, least that was quality stuff, been holding up very well, sure its fading where the sun has got to it over the years, but has held up great in other aspects and least the color was right.

·
Registered
156 Posts
never mind old stuff Deere can't get decals correct on newer stuff. My 930 flex head side shield was chipped up from pulled in transport on gravel roads. I prepped and painted the shield but didn't bother to pay close attention to the spot were the decal goes except that the new decal was smaller then the original one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts