The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an s670 rice machine with a variable stream rotor and I'm cutting 6.5tonne/ha barley on the ground and want to bale the straw out the back. Will I get better quality straw by putting the vanes in the advanced position?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hi I have an s670 rice machine with a variable stream rotor and I'm cutting 6.5tonne/ha barley on the ground and want to bale the straw out the back. Will I get better quality straw by putting the vanes in the advanced position?
Should take less than a minute to hit the button in the cab to change the vanes and try it.

let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vanes wouldn't change to advanced so had to do the job in standard, recalibrated now working. There is only 2 of these machines in the area so the dealers haven't had much to do with the vari stream rotor.

·
Super Moderator
5,037 Posts
How are these vanes moved? Hydraulic or electric? Or manual?
What keeps crop material from jamming moment?
Had the vanes been able to be advanced is there a chances losses with have increased to make it really expensive straw quality?

·
Super Moderator
5,037 Posts
Thanks fj.
No mention of it on that link as it only refers to separation area material but I wonder if in a brittle straw crop like canola an acclerated vane angle may slightly reduce shoe load?
I'm sure by now Weatern Canadian owners would know that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have found that chaff builds up where the linkage and actuator is. It hinders the movement and u will get a code. I've learned to clean is off before adjusting the vanes. Yes it does make a difference in canola when it's really dry.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Those are some impressive pics of the straw FJ. The guys here just chew up the straw to the point where you can not pick it up with a baler pickup, Yet alone get a bale that you can move without it exploding once wrapped.

Be curious to see what dropped canola straw would look like.

·
Super Moderator
5,037 Posts
Those are some impressive pics of the straw FJ.
Be curious to see what dropped canola straw would look like.
I suppose but for what purpose?:confused:

That's a lot of straw as well and conditions alone can cause huge straw quality differences.

You didn't happen to test between full advance and full retarded vane setting?
Is the default or normal setting full retarded?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I suppose but for what purpose?:confused:
Actually, here in this part of the country, I have neighbors who use canola straw in feedlot pens in spring. It is used after wet heavy snowfall in spring to help keep the pens dry, as it will absorb a pile of water. It is a different ecosystem in the pen, so young calves don't get scours near as often as calves in pens with wheat straw bedding. It holds up better footing by keeping the pen firm, the cattle don't punch through it as easily as regular straw bedding. The guys like it so much that I drop every acre of canola for baleng.

There are only a few of us who have conventional machines so the acres of usable canola straw is getting less and less. Trying to bale canola behind a STS or an S series in real dry conditions so far is impossible.

·
Super Moderator
5,037 Posts
Actually, here in this part of the country, I have neighbors who use canola straw in feedlot pens in spring. It is used after wet heavy snowfall in spring to help keep the pens dry, as it will absorb a pile of water. It is a different ecosystem in the pen, so young calves don't get scours near as often as calves in pens with wheat straw bedding. It holds up better footing by keeping the pen firm, the cattle don't punch through it as easily as regular straw bedding. The guys like it so much that I drop every acre of canola for baleng.

There are only a few of us who have conventional machines so the acres of usable canola straw is getting less and less. Trying to bale canola behind a STS or an S series in real dry conditions so far is impossible.
That is very interesting, thank you.
Never heard of that before.

If you want more usable canola straw simply straight cut it.
The only thing is that it is so different it may not be what feedlots would want as far as absorption is concerned.
If it's just for stabilizing muddy areas it may work fine.

Huh, learn something everyday!:)

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you run the vanes in the advanced position you will want to check carefully for loss out the rotor. Had a neighbor who ran one at the beginning of the year and didn't notice it was in advanced and had considerable losses in wheat. Our biggest problem with them is getting them to move. If they get stuck half way they will throw a stop code blocking your display until you get a service guy to come and clear it. If the problem persists they can go into the computer and change the frequency of times it automatically cycles itself to keep itself clean. Seems to help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.