The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone lost a motor in a s680/s690 13.5L?
We have an 2015 s680 with 913 engine hours with a piston/connecting rod sticking out of the block.
Looks like the connecting rods cap bolts broke or came loose on the No 1 piston.
Very disappointing, we have been running leveling JD combines since the 95H series, never had any motor issues.
Our local dealer is going to bat for us with JD, since warranty is up, They have a new s780 for us to run while a new motor is delivered and installed.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Has anyone lost a motor in a s680/s690 13.5L?
We have an 2015 s680 with 913 engine hours with a piston/connecting rod sticking out of the block.
Looks like the connecting rods cap bolts broke or came loose on the No 1 piston.
Very disappointing, we have been running leveling JD combines since the 95H series, never had any motor issues.
Our local dealer is going to bat for us with JD, since warranty is up, They have a new s780 for us to run while a new motor is delivered and installed.
First I've heard of this. Good grief I can't imagine what it costs. Who's your dealer up there?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pape is our dealer, they are going the extra mile for us. Have us a new Hillco s780 we're running hard and hope to get our machine back together by Saturday.
New complete motor is $78K. Crazy for sure.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pape is our dealer, they are going the extra mile for us. Have us a new Hillco s780 we're running hard and hope to get our machine back together by Saturday.
New complete motor is $78K. Crazy for sure.
unfortunately that is a very common problem, I have seen it first hand on a 9870 . What is deere saying caused the problem.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,665 Posts
Many 12/13.5 ‘s have failed around the globe, but usually always because of the water pump.

First I’ve heard of an actual rod out the side.
That’s a bad one.
If push comes to shove with JD, you could find a metal forensics expert to look at the components under a microscope and make a report. Hopefully it will be in your favour.

Got any pics of your hillside machines in action?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Your local service manager and district man will say "This is a first. We haven't heard of this before. We will look into it." They will string you out on time until you just agree to fix it on your dime.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Up and going last evening with a new motor. Very impressed with our Local dealer (Pape).
One week to get us going with the motor located in Milan, and were in SE Wash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts